Heart Health Community
361 Members

Understanding Heart Physiology

Hello, everyone!  This is my second time posting to MedHelp forums.  I have a question regarding the heart and how it operates.  About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety, but originally I thought it had something to do with my heart due to my father having recent heart issues and two 30 year old friends dying of heart failure last year.  So, I had the full tests done (bnp, chest xray, full chemistry, echo and a holter).  Everything came back normal.  I also had to check myself too of course, due to the anxiety at the time.  However, there was one finding on the echo that was abnormal.  I asked my GP and he said it was nothing at all to worry about.  I am not worried about it now, but am rather curious how it works.  I would ask my GP but I feel I've already taken quite a bit of his time.  I've done as much online digging as I can do, so I thought I'd jump on here and ask about it again.

Doppler Measurements & Calculations
MV E point: 93 cm/sec
MV A point: 50 cm/sec
MV E/A: 1.9
MV dec time: 0.29 sec

My heart had a prolonged deceleration.  I do know  that the dec time alone is not not indicative of heart failure, but how and why does that occur when it's so far above normal values?  Also, I know it's not "pseudonormal dd" because that doesn't match up with the rest of the echo.  Does that mean I drank too much caffeine and used too much tobacco (only used during college)?  Or is it just simply the way my heart operates because that's the way it fits best for me?  Also, when doing the echo I was extremely nervous.  I'm 30 years old, generally athletic and don't have high blood pressure but at the time it was 142/78 due to my anxiety.

Thanks!

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.