Heart Health Community
360 Members

Why is my heart rate so weird?

Hey everyone! My heart rate has been absolutely ridiculous lately. I am a young, healthy, fit 20 year old female and my heart rate has been getting up to 224. I feel few symptoms such as very slight chest pressure, short of breath, very hot feeling, and i get dizzy. It seems so weird because I will have many times through out the day that my heart rate will be well over 100 and I can be sitting on the couch or just getting out the shower. It only lasts for a second though. I have had an EKG done and it says nothing. I do not understand because my heart rate will shoot up really high to 224 and then drop to 120 in less than a minute. I am getting put on a Holter monitor in a few days to see if it can catch my abnormal heart rate. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Or how it could be treated?
Mandy,
how are you doing? Any results from the Holter monitor yet?
Hey Ger57,

I received my results from the holter monitor and my heart rate only got to 156. The Cardiologist says that is not high enough?? I was laying down when it happened. My heart rate also got over 100 20 of the 24 hours I wore the holter monitor. I said that I could take medicine, but he said it probably wouldnt help or I could do nothing. I am just confused because I feel like it is more serious than the doctor does. My heart rate was tachycardia every hour except for 2am to 5am.
Hi Mandy,

Above 100 is tachycardia. I think if you have it 20 of the 24 hours you are "qualified".
There can be many causes for tachycardia, some are benign and others dangerous.
An ECG is used to classify the tachycardia. As you have seen a cardiologist, I am sure that he ruled out that you have a dangerous type, otherwise he would not have taken it so lightly.

I found this on the web, perhaps it can be of help to you:

Many people don't need medical therapy. Treatment is considered if episodes are prolonged or occur often. Your doctor may recommend or try:

- Carotid sinus massage: gentle pressure on the neck, where the carotid artery splits into two branches. Must be performed by a healthcare professional to minimize risk of stroke, heart or lung injury from blood clots.
- Pressing gently on the eyeballs with eyes closed.
- Valsalva maneuver: holding your nostrils closed while blowing air through your nose.
- Dive reflex: the body's response to sudden immersion in water, especially cold water.
- Sedation.
- Cutting down on coffee.
- Cutting down on alcohol.
- Quitting tobacco use.
- Getting more rest.

Good luck!
Ger
Hi Mandy,
Do you get a feeling of a 'kick in' just before your heart goes into tachycardia?  I get a definite kick or twist feeling, then off I go into over 200 beats per minute.  I don't get the beats that high since I was put on a couple of pills to keep the heart rate down.  I've taken my blood pressure and it does not seem to go high - only the heartbeats are fast.  Only problem now is, the last time I had a kick in and was able to use carotid massage to slow it, it didn't revert to normal and I had to go to ER to have it converted to normal rhythm.  This time, Adenocine injection didn't work and they used the electric pads to convert as they said the heartbeats were all over the place.  This was after a 4 hour episode.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.