Heart Health Community
350 Members

pop3

Well,I had a massive heart attack 2 months ago.A stent was placed. I was told that there is a lot of damage to my left ventricle.My ejection fraction was 25 right after it happened and now it is 30. I take coreg ,lisinopril, plavix,vytorin,baby aspirin,and warfarin (which I have my blood checked weekly for) My bp is 110/70,my cholesteral is good I'm told (around 170) Here's my question. My doctor told me that I was doing great. He doesn't need to see me for 4 months. He said, at that time,though, we'll check my ef and if it doesn't go up a little more he may suggest a defibrillator. How can I help my ef go up? I am currently in cardiac rehab so I am exercising,but I feel I could do more. I feel great actually.
Keep doing what you are doing!  I've been where you are, and my ejection fraction was recently measured at 60%.  The cardia rehab is wonderful therapy... tell them you want to increase your exercise capacity, they may let you do so.  You will be wired up and monitored and they can see how you do.  Coreg tends to be a 'governor' drug, as I call it.  It limits the physical activity capacity.  Have patience, eat well, exercise per the rehab instructions. If the rehab folk see any problems they will refer you to your Cardiologist immediately, and if you feel you need to see your doc, don't hesitate to make an appointment.  
Best wishes.  Keep us informed.

Thanks for your input. I just feel so frustrated. Obviously I don't want a defibrilator. How long did it take your ef to go up. I'm 55, by the way, and my heart attack happened while I?was on vacation.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.