Heart Rhythm Community

2 week palpitations and headache

I am a 19 year old female and a few weeks ago I started getting daily headaches and what feels like heart palpitations. The headaches differ each day, sometimes being mild to nothing and sometimes being unbearable. The PVCs happen all day on and off. They feel different, sometimes like my Heart is racing, sometimes it's just a discomfort in the chest area. My eye was twitching, but that stopped two days ago. Sometimes I get a tiny pang of pain near my chest, but it's very very mild. I went to the doctor and he said I had reflux and gave me medication, but I don't think that's right. When I take Advil it sometimes doesn't work fully, and k don't want to have to keep taking it daily. Could someone help me figure out what's wrong with me? I would go back to the doctor but I have to return to school in a few days and o don't know when I could go for an appointment in the near future.

Also, a couple weeks ago I ate four huge bags of chocolate in under two weeks-obviously a bad decision. Could this have sometime to do with it?

I also noticed my heart races when I exert energy like climbing stairs. When I do a few minutes of cardio my heart starts racing and pounding and my headache gets worse. This has never happened before
Have you had any blood tests done?  It is possible you have a little low magnesium with the eye twitch though that could also be stress/anxiety induced.  But you might want to get a blood test to see if your magnesium is low.  As well you should probably have your thyroid levels checked to make sure they are not the cause of the high heart rate. What is it by the way?  You say it races but what is the speed?  If you aren't good at checking yourself you can get a sports watch that reads the heart rate.  They aren't too expensive.  

will say acid reflux can cause the heart to act up.  It can irritate the vagus nerve which would then in turn send signals to the heart causing it to act up so try some antacids and see if it helps.  Just so you are aware, advil should not be taken on an empty stomach or it can irritate the lining so if you do take it for your headaches then make sure you take it with food to keep from annoying your stomach.  Odds are the little pangs and short pains you feel in your chest are ectopic beats but you do need to get them evaluated by a cardiologist to see everything that is going on.  If this happens daily a simple 24 hour monitor should get a good read on what your heart is doing so you may need to return to the doctor and push a little further to get more testing on your heart.  In an otherwise healthy heart the extra ectopic beats are of no concern or danger to you  Odds are you likely have nothing to worry about and just need to watch your stress, stomach issues and avoid caffeine and chocolate but it's best to get fully evaluated first to be sure.  

I wouldn't stress so much about the amount of chocolate you ate but just watch to see if there is a pattern of getting more of a jumpy heart after you eat them.  I know I can but I like chocolate so I just deal with it but do first get evaluated so you know what is going on.  This just means that sometimes we have to go back to the doctor a couple of times to get everything checked out.  Especially at your younger age doctors take the simple route first and generally will only press further if we come back with repeated complaints.  I suspect it is because they want to rule out an issue that would resolve on its own so that just means we have to go back and let them know that the issue is persisting and they will investigate further.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.