Heart Rhythm Community

4 skipped heart beats in a row with sputtering

I was doing some reading and read that 3 or more ectopic beats which are skipped beats are considered to be ventricular tachycardia. Is this true? Because from what I have read this can turn into ventricular fibrillation! What scares me though is i had a walk in medical clinical doctor read an ekg once that said I had a lateral infarction. However I have had that test looked at by 2 other cardiologist and they say it is a normal read out. I have also had a echocardiogram done and said it was pretty normal. I am really scared here. It happens withough warning withough any stimulants.
3 or more PVC's in a row is non-sustained v-tach and is generally harmless. I wish I could remember but I think you have to have 30 PVC's in a row to be considered regular v-tach and that's the kind that "might" lead to v-fib. It doesn't always. Perhaps someone will come in and correct me on the time/number of PVC's. But I do know it has to be quite a few back to back.
Well im living proof you wont necesarlily go in to v tach if you have 3 or more pvcs in a row!I go in to Vtach (way more then 3 beats in a row too) a lot during a week.Since my hearts structurally normal I guess thats why im still here today:) But pvcs arent skipped beats right?Arent they extra?Thats the way I always thought of them...but this is also coming from someone who just found out its not called ekg...hehehehhehe
Ok sorry I meant to say you wont nec go in to V fib!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Guess im not awake yet.
I have several episodes of nsvt a week, sometimes 2or3 a day!! My ep doc says that as long as my heart is healthy (which it is!) that I won't go into sustained v-tach or v-fib. Thats not to reassuring, I know, but I am trying to deal with this the best way I know how!! Have you had all the tests to check your heart out? (echo,stress test, mri??)
Do any of you have a hard time living your day to day life with these heart episodes? I find I am always thinking about dying anytime! It is hard for me to focus and now I am afraid to exercise to any meaningful portions. Responding to julesluvsdrew I think many people refer to the sensation as a skipped beat but they are indeed extra beats that comes with a pause to resynchronize itself. Do any of you have chest pains from time to time? Can any of you drink coffee and alcohol? As little as three  years ago I could with no problem; now all of a sudden, NO WAY!
Guilty I do drink coke,BUT I have stopped and seen if it made any diff out my bouts of V tach or pvcs and It didnt..believe me if it had I wouldnt be drinking any caffiene!Walking is what I miss the most,I used to walk a lot for excersise and to keep my weight good but now I cant even do that without my heart flip flopping around.I do get chest pains from time to time,but to be honest with you I always have..(since I was 19)I find when my heart is acting up I feel nautious,but I think that is because Im immediatly scared that im going to die.So to answer your question,GOD YES it affects my day to day living.Some days are better then others,but the worst is at work (i work in a hospital).You would think I would feel comforted about that lol but IM NOT.I almost feel worse about it???Dont ask me why...Like kim asked,are you being monitored and seen by a cardio?
Yes, it definately affects my day to day life. Like you, I walk around terrified that the next 'skip' will be the one that kills me!! I understand how you feel, I remember a couple of years ago when I could drink alcohol, coke, anything I wanted to, now I can't do any of that nor can I eat chocolate!!! I hate living with this and I envy others who don't have the same problem. I feel like I've been cheated of a good, healthy life, I know that there are others who have it much worse, but living in fear is like not even living at all !!!!!

i feel the same way....i'm always thinking when i get a skipped beat that this is the v-tach...and then i'm going to pass out...i'm always looking at my surroundings...making sure that i'm around people just in case...i hate living like this...i also gave up pop...don't drink caffeine...and hardly eat my favorite sweet..chocolate...i get palps every day....i'm trying to even out my hormones to see if that makes a difference...if not....i might go on anti-depressant...because it is ruining my life...
non-sustained V-tach is a rapid/irregular heart rate that occurs for less than 30 seconds and sustained V-tach occurs for longer than 30 seconds. Sustained VT is indeed the scary one that can lead to VFib. I know because I have "inducable" sustained VT. PVCs are pre-mature beats that feel like a skipped beat because there is a pause after. If you're not satisifed with the responses of the 2 cardiologists regarding arrythmia, perhaps you might request to see a cardiac electrophysiologist. As far as how to live with this stuff day to day, my advice is to keep seeing cardiac specialists until your mind is satsified with the results/diagnoses/opinion of your doctors. In my experience, as long as you have questions, worries and doubts, it is difficult to let this go. Once you find out what the problem is, you can deal with it, or hopefully it will turn out that there really isn't a problem. Doctors often misdiagnose. You must be your own advocate! Good luck!
Hi.  If you've read other posts, you will know you are not alone.  Many of us have tons of PVCs in a row.  Don't worry yourself about counting them nor which kind is the "deadly" kind.  In the grand scheme of things, people who have never felt ONE of these things have gone into V-fib.  These things will scare you all your life, if you let them.  Even a veteran like me (I've had them for 31 years) AND I'm a cardiac nurse who's seen it all, gets scared at times. I also know that caffeine, chocolate, etc....all those things they tell you to give up, I have given up, but never made a difference in my PVCs.  Never.  So I drink what I want and eat what I want.  The only thing that is a biggie is that I know if I go out drinking, I will most definitely have PVCs the next day.  Oh well.  Someone once said something that made a lot of sense and helped me, too.  "Maybe our hearts are so used to resetting themselves because of so many PVCs that it knows how to get out of V-tach without killing us.  Maybe it is the people whose hearts have always been normal that go into the lethal arrythmias because the heart cannot fix itself."  I think I might have to believe that, if only a little!  Good luck.  
I had to laugh when I read your post, because I could have almost written it! It's been 27 years of pvcs for me, and always increasing in frequency. I have experienced strings of pvcs as long as 62 in a row. Electrophysiologist still not concerned. Structurally normal heart. The heart beat is intended to be variable he says.

I have tried giving up coffee, alcohol, chocolate, everything and anything that could be considered a trigger. To no avail. So, like you, I eat what I want and drink what I want (all in moderation), and still it's about the same, no better, no worse. I'm either going to be miserable because of the pvcs or miserable because I'm cutting out enjoyable things. I'm not very nice to be around when I'm miserable from both. :-)
Yay to that!  I might as well enjoy myself and let my heart enjoy itself!
I on the other hand have definitely noticed an increase in PVCs and rapid heart rate after consuming caffein (especially if it's more than one serving) and sometimes with alcohol as well. I try to avoid the stuff as much as possible and am looking into more healthy hippy methods of maintaining energy such as yoga, meditation and skilled relaxation. Anyone have any experience or advice on that?
This is an interesting comment you have made. I am totally scared to drink or have any of these stimulants. How do you do it? I do notice that the pauses are longer and more profound when I drink caffeine. I can say that for me they are way worse when I have them. I have to stay clear. For me I am afraid for my life everytime I get these and just want to be around my wife and daughter because I do not want to die alone. Not that I want to let them see me this way. You are a brave person. Do you get chest pains as well. I do.
Me, brave?  Nah.  After 31 years of having them and not dying, I'm pretty sure it's gonna take more than a few PVCs in a row to kill me.  HOWEVER, don't think for one minute that when I get the strings, the thumps, the "different" sensations (and let me tell ya, you can get so many different sensations) I tend to stay home and around my family, too.  It's just that I must live and there are tried and true methods (for me) that help.  One thing is to ignore.  Or, when you can't do that, try to relax.  Also, let me clarify.  If I'm already getting a ton of PVCs, a third cup of coffee WILL make them worse.  What I'm saying is: moderation!  I drink 1-2 cups a day with no ill effects and I don't drink soda. I also eat chocolate every day.  The alcohol affects me the next day every time.  So, no I'm not brave.  I just have been doing this for so long....what can I do?
Thank you for your posts Rita they really helped me alot, I started getting pvc last month and they lasted 4 days, I would get the extra beat every 7 or 8 heart beats, the first day I thought it was my uspset stomach but when I found out it was my heart I got deppressed and started asking God to heal me, well they went away for 3 weeks and I started jogging 1.5 miles a day, two days ago the pvc were back and they were worst than before sometimes I would get them every other hearth beat but it only lasted 2 days, this morning I got up and they were gone completelly but I know they can return any day but I will be praying to God to take them away or to let me live throu them. When I had them these last two days I never stopped jogging, I would feel good while jogging. by the way I just turn 48 and never smoked nor drinked in my life.
Again thank you for your posts and God bless you all.
Wow you really inspire me:) When I try to just walk around the block,if the pvcs kick in,im unable to continue...It just makes me feel lousy and like there is a frog in my chest..Sigh so needless to say its been 3 months since Ive done any type of activity!
I just want to say "thanks!" - all of the posts were comforting and informative.  I can absolutely identify with each of you.  I think we're all at different stages of our "crazy heart journey"...I'm somewhere in between manny777 and RNRIta!  God bless,
amy
I know that sensation like there's a frog in your chest, it gets worst if I just do nothing so what I do is find something to occupy my mind or go jogging which helps get the frog out of my chest, sometimes I can feel the pvc when I am jogging but most of the time I don't. I could be having pvc's really bad but I would still go jogging for 1.5 miles. Well got to go get ready for church and this time I'll ask the Lord for a cure for averyone.
God bless you all.
Ditto to all the posts I feel the same about all the posts which are on this page, I get everything you all talk about, and am terrified I will die after the next skipped beat, I am so frightened, I wait for the next skipped beat, and death. HELP
Marie
Please don't give up activity or exercise. If you've been told you have a structurally normal heart, or that you have benign pvcs, then exercise is a must, it will keep your heart stronger!

I've been afraid to do many things since I first noticed the pvcs but avoiding things only strengthened my fear of them. Going out and doing things and realizing I was still alive made me feel stronger. I also find it interesting that my pvcs will usually go away if I can get my heart rate above 120bpm, like on the treadmill. They come dancing back the moment it goes below 120bpm, but I can't do treadmill forever, whew!

Do what you can to minimize them, if you identify a trigger, smartly avoid it, but everyone has a different tolerance to these buggers. It's a matter of risk/benefit. I think activity and exercise have greater benefit for health and general life enjoyment.
Your so right :) I just am afraid about going in to V tach while exercising :(  Once I get insurance and see a doc and get the go ahead,im deff going to go back to my daily walks!
I don't believe I will EVER go into sustained V-tach from them.  I think I would have already.  BUT, I'll tell you, the people that jog and go on treadmills.....HOW?  I can do exercise, but as soon as I start getting PVCs (and they almost always come when I do), I stop and get depressed.  However, I run my butt around like a mad woman for 10-11 hours a day at work with only 1 seven minute break.  Beat that!  It must me in my mind.
Hey there,I find myself at work sometimes having a lot of pvcs.Im in housekeeping,so its deff physical..Do you have them at work and if so how often?I stop too when im walking if the pvcs come,I get too scared.