Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

79 year old with AF - medications and procedures

My Mother is 79 years old and has Atrial Fibrillation with left atrial enlargement.   Her ventricular rate is well controlled with 100 mg of Toprol and she has very few symptoms.  Her cardiac health is otherwise good and she has no other health problems.

I have two questions:
1.  To what degree should medications / procedures be pursued in this kind of situation?

2.  Is a persons life span shortened due to atrial fibrillation alone?

Thank You
1 Responses
612551 tn?1450025775
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your mother's condition sounds like mine, and I have decided not to go to the stronger medication or ablation to resolve my AFib.  I too have an enlarged left atrial, due to a leaky mitral valve that was repaired with open heart surgery about 15 months ago.  

My cardiologist and his supporting electro physiologist (EP) both have told me that curing the AFib will not increase my life expectancy, nor will living with AFib reduce my life expectancy.  This is an evolving prognosis and has changed in the 10 years I've suffered from AFig.  

I have had good past results with electrocardioversion and medication (Propafenone). But the condition of the left atrial enlargement has prevented any further cardioversions using those "low level" measures.   My surgery has stopped the enlargement of the left atrial, but too late to help me stay in sinus rhythm.  

I too take 100 mg of Metoprolol to control HR, keep resting rate under 100, maybe as low as 70s when sleeping.  
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.