Heart Rhythm Community

A-fib long term

Have had A-Fib for 7 years. Failed Flecinade, Multaq. Been in constant a-fib for a year- last electrocardioversion in Nov 2010 failed. Had a serious bleed on warfin, now on Dabigatron, 3 months, no problems. Not vrazy about having an ablation. Life/health generally good. 55 yars old. Can I expect to manage my A-Fib with rate control and Dabigatron without any problems?
TY
Charles Dickerson
Just curious, why are you 'not crazy" about an ablation?  You are too young to have to deal with this.
I had an ablation done 3 years ago, and I feel it was the best decision I made. It did take me 2 years to research the procedure, EP's, but I finally went for it.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think you should check out what your "odds" of a successful Ablation are, then make a decision.  I agree at your (relatively) young age, an Ablation should be considered.

I had considered the same myself, and sparing you the many details, my Cardiologist and a consulting EP said "NO" for an Ablation for my AFib.  Reason: not a good chance of success in my case and my symptoms/risks are managed with BB and Warfarin.   Then too, Electrocardioversion worked well for me (periods exceedy a year in NSR) until the age of 68.

I may be, hate to think so, too old for an Ablation.  I have not sought another opinion.  I'm sure even with the low Medicare rates I can find an EP willing to do the job... just guessing.  
Concerns are:
The whole "punching through the heart wall", Seems that most need 2, and it seems that long term results are showing that many people return to A-fib.

But also read that long term A-fib is not so goot for you, and where I started at a young age, that too is a concern. My hospital/EP are very conservative, and are leading me away from ablation.

Thank you for your experiences and thoughts
chuck
COMMUNITY LEADER
Exactly, the AFib (left atrium) is the most difficult/risky of ablations because of what you have noted.  That said, my doctors said my case isn't worth the risk.  I'll be lucky to make it another 15 years in any case.  I bring up that because the case study (somewhere in the NE) my doctors quoted showed no improvement in longevity for AFib sufferers between those who regained NSR and those who treated HR and Cloting, as is done in my case.  I recall the study period of 15 years... so I assume that the results apply directly only to that length of time.

At you age, it is another matter.  You should be looking for another 30 years.  

I have followed my doctor's advice and remain in permanent AFib.  
When I have Afib, I have a rapid ventricular response.  It's like running a marathon 24-7.  So if you are talking permanent afib, you must not have the continuous high heart rate?

What about destroying the sinus node and having a pacemaker?  Is that an option?

It looks like I'm moving toward persistent or permanent Afib, so I'm trying to learn all I can about the procedures.  I also have a mild to moderate atrial enlargement, which lessens the chances for success in an ablation, or so I've read.
Big Picture, yes I am hoping for another 30. Now I have a bad day (feel like crap, no reason, no energy, malaize) once in a while and so far can do everything I want. I have some physical slow down, but some is expected at my age.
If I knew I would maintane (with normal aging "slow down) I would not even think of an ablation. But want to make the best of it!
My rate is well controlled with Toporal. Even on the tread mill can't get heart rate over 115. Of toporal, 180 easy. I failed my last cardioversion, have been out of SR for a year, so I guess I am "perminate" at this point. I too want to know good options.
again
chuck