Heart Rhythm Forum

Atrial Fib age 30

I am a 30 year old male who was recently diagnosed with afib.  I had been having SVT with palpitations about 30 times a day (each lasting about 10 seconds) for about 2 weeks.  The doc didn't intially see the fibrillation in my EKG (monitored with electrodes that I activate when I have a bout), but eventually saw it a couple of times.  I am now on a beta blocker (Metoprolol 25mg a day) and asprin.  I have only had two of these bouts of palpitations over the past 48 hours (big improvement).I have a few questions for which I can't seem to find answers:

1) I have read a lot of the stats regarding the increased risk of stroke with afib.  Does this only apply to the people with symptoms?  In other words, if my meds are eliminating the symptoms, are my risks of a stroke eliminated?  

2) Are there any detrimental effects of taking a beta blocker long term (since I am only 30)?

3) I am used to exercising at a pretty high intensity (HR up to 170 when pushing, resintg HR around 65).  I am obviously feeling fatigued from the beta blocker, so I probably will be limited with the exercise.  I also don't want to cause any problems by exercising too hard (I haven't exercised since having the symptoms).  Should I avoid "pushing it"?  Are there any risks involved with pushing it really hard?  

Thanks!  
Hi Tim,

Not true.  Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk of stroke regardless of symptoms.  The absolute risk increases depending on the number of risk factors you have: hypertension, heart failure, age >75, diabetes and history of stroke or TIA (mini stroke with symptoms lasting <24 hours).  Other things may affect the risk like valvular heart disease if it is significant and associated with enlarging atrial chambers.

Even with no risk factors, you risk is low.  If you have none or one of the listed risk factors, aspirin is appropriate for blood thinning.  History of stroke means that you should be on coumadin.

There is a slight increased risk of developing diabetes.

If you have no other medical conditions, there shouldn't be an significant increased risk other than the possibility of going into afib, if this proves to provoke it for you.

there are other medications that possibly eliminate your atrial fibrillation.  an electrophysiogist will be able to help you with this if you have significant symptoms from your atrial fibrillation.

I hope this helps. thanks for posting.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else