Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.2k Members
Avatar universal

Atrial Flutter Question

I am a 23 year old male who a couple years ago was diagnosed with paroxismal atrial flutter.  I have undergone 2 ablation surgeries that were both unsuccessful and have since been put on medication, sotalol, which has kept my heart in rhythm and i have experienced no problems since being put on this medication.  It has been about 2 years since my last ablation surgery and my doctor has lowered my dosage of sotalol from 80mg twice a day to 40mg twice a day and have shown no negative effects.  I guess my question is, is it possible that the ablation surgery showed as unsuccessful initially but over time my heart has recovered and it may have been solved?  And, are there any possible negative long term effects from being on this medication, sotalol, for a long time if i have to remain on it for a number of years more?  and finally, are there any new or interesting developments in this field of medicine that may help people with my problem in the near future?  Thanks for any help you can provide!
3 Responses
251395 tn?1434494286
Hello...

I am interested about how they determined that your 2nd procedure was unsuccessful. Did you have recurrence of the arrhythmia? If in fact you still have atrial flutter, I know that the Mayo Clinic does, as a last resort for cure, perform a surgical procedure called a "mini maze." These are usually performed for curative measures for people who suffer with Afib, but there have been successes with Atrial Flutter as well. You could check out the Mayo Clinic online.

As for the medication. I haven't heard of any long term risks regarding long term use. Dr's will typically start you on a higher dose and then taper down as long if you have no recurring arrhythmia.

Along with Sotolol, you should be taking an anticoagulant like Coumadin or at the very least an antiplatelet like Aspirin. With Atrial Fib/Flutter there is an increased risk of stroke, so these 2 medications decrease your risk of suffering the catastrophic results of a stroke.

Where did you have your procedures done?

I hope that my info is helpful to you:)
612551 tn?1450022175
COMMUNITY LEADER
My experience with the "mini-maze" is it didn't work.  Fortunately the reason I had open heart surgery was to repair a mitral valve.  Thus, while open anyway, a mini-maze was done.  My surgeon gave it an estimated 60% chance of stopping my AFib.  I fill in the 40% group.

It is also my understanding that the risks of open heart surgery, perhaps in the 3-5% range for serious complications including death and stroke, are taken only if the condition being worked is itself life threatening.  In my case I was suffering heart enlargement which would lead to congestive heart failure in a few years.

Given you successful results from Sotalol I recommend to stick with the medication.
Avatar universal
After my second surgery I was weaned off the medicine and after being completely off of it for a couple days the arrythmia started up again.  I had the procedures done in Canada at the University of Alberta Hospital.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.  The reason I have so many questions is because the doctors suggested doing the ablasion a third time, but they said they couldn't be sure if they would find the probem and i don't really like the idea of burning my heart wall when the doctors don't really know if it is accomplishing anything...
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318743597
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511085442
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.