Heart Rhythm Community

Booked in for ablation on Monday and very scared!

I'm having an ablation on Monday 19th March. Had an SVT episode last week but prior to that I hadn't had one in 10 months. Just been speaking to the cardiac nurse over the phone and i'm very nervous about it all. She said I'll have irregular heartbeats and thumping for a few days until it all settles down. What if it doesn't settle down and I'm left with erraic heartbeats? That ever happened to anyone? I need reassurance at the moment, I'm very scared:(
Your heart will likely be a little unsettled for a little while.  I was having almost weekly episodes of svt and I likely had irregular beats before the ablation so my heart was already through a lot but I do think if you have been rather calm and don't have much by way of irregular beats now you may not notice much of it afterwards.  No one can say for certain but chances are good you will feel just fine within a day.  The first day I was quite tired and got short of breath easy but physically I bounced back very quickly.  I did have what seemed like increased ectopic activity but again, I think I likely had alot before that was masked by the svt.  My main concern would be them not being able to induce your svt and if they can't then they can't map it to know where exactly to ablate but I wouldn't really worry too much.  Most people have the ablation and have little if no problems afterwards.  But your heart may do a few odd things for the next month to 3 months and I am told it takes a up to 6 months for full healing to occur.  Well, good luck.  The ablation really is no big deal.  You will be surprised how easy it is.  I send good thoughts your way that all goes well and you are cured of your svt.  Take care and let us know how it went.  I will be thinking of you on Monday.  
Thanks Michelle....always good to chat with you. I've had a bad day today, I'm really scared and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I've been told I don't even need to stay overnight at the hospital which is encouraging as it can't be that bad. I wishI could sleep through it, but of course I have to be awake and not too sedated until they can bring the SVT on. I'm hoping they'll sedate me big time after that! Yes, a worry for me too if they can't SVT me....Thanks for thinking of me on Monday, I'll need all the positive thoughts and prayers I can get:)
I know.  I was scared out of my wits to do it and I was one who was never afraid of my svt in the first place.  But I was scared to have someone messing with my heart and kind of wish I had found this place before hand but I actually didn't find this place until after the ablation though I probably still would have been scared out of my wits. But all that worry did turn out to be unneccessary because it really isn't bad at all.  You will be very pleasantly surprised.  And I think they very rarely keep you overnight unless you are having one of the more complicated svts like afib ablated.  I am sure they will do their best to keep you comfortable.  You may even be able to fall asleep without them needing to add more meds.  I almost did a couple of times.  But really it isn't bad at all but I will be around all weekend if you need to talk more because I know you will likely be a bit anxious until it is over so I am here.  : )
Thanks again Michelle. I was never very scared of my SVT either apart from a very bad episode 14 months ago I've always been relatively relaxed with it. Last week when I had one i took my verapamil and  just chilled. It was gone in 40 minutes, but I did feel as if I'd done a serious session at the gym I was so tired!
It's just that there's so many different things going through my head and it's difficult because other people don't know what I'm going through. I think you have to go through this whole SVT thing to really know how it feels. A part of me is absolutely terrified...will I have a heart attack? Will I have a stroke? Will my heart be erratic for the rest of my life? But then another part of me just wants to get on with it and lead a normal life where I'm not worried if I have to go on a journey, or if I've left my phone at home or even having a glass of wine. The carefree days!!
I'm glad you're around this weekend, I'm sure I'll come back for mor reassurance, it's great talking to someone who's been through it and come out the other end:)
The one thing I didn't mention if it makes you feel better about doing it is your svt won't go away.  You will continue to have episodes.  You may not be active now but you very well could get to a point where you are having episodes every other week or even every week like I was having.  Now it is not neccessarily the case for everyone but with the majority of people the episodes do become more frequent with age so I really do think it is worth a shot to try and be rid of it for good before it gets to a really bothersome point.  If the ablation doesn't work you can go back at a later date and try again but my best wish is that they get this sooner meaning now rather than later.  : )
I hope so too. Having a better day than yesterday and keeping busy which helps. I'm very worried about how I'll be after the procedure. I don't have any weird beats now (I think you call them PACS and PVCs?) so I'm worried that the ablation will cause me to have these. I don't mind if I getthem short term whilst the area heals but the thought of haveing them indefinitely scares me. Part of me wants to run away and not have it done! But I want to get rid of this problem. Like you say...and my husband says....the SVT will not go away. The fact that I hadn't had an episode for 10 months doesn't guarantee that I won't have another one for 10 months. Is SVT very common? I'd never heard of it before Ihad mine...
I went 54 years without ever encountering another person who had SVT.  Then I found this site and found that I shared this problem with a lot of other people.  I'm pretty sure I had given you my opinion prior to this, but my ablation was scheduled only after my episodes had increased to over several per month.  My feeling is that advances in the procedure will continue and that someday, the current method will seem primitive by comparison.

The key to fixing your problem is finding it, and the key to finding it is being able to get it going.  With my frequent episodes, the electrophysiologist was confident that he could stimulate it into action, and he merely touched the suspected lcation with the catheter and I went into SVT.  I hope your procedure goes smoothly on Monday.  Be sure to get back to us on how you did.
I don't have statistics on how many people have it though once I started talking to people I have come across some who know someone else who had it.  The main statistic that I have come across is that women get it more than men and the most common form of congenital svt is avnrt though I think afib is more common than the congenital forms.  Your husband is right.  It won't go away.   And I partly wonder if letting it go causes more issues down the road.  I personally don't remember having pvcs or pacs when I was younger.  I did notice them over the past 5 years though I did not make the correlation that it was a separate issue from my svt.  So I was taken by surprise when the ectopics continued after the ablation and I did have a bout of them that were pretty bad.  The doctor claims that the ablation or the svt did not cause the pvcs or pacs but all I have read about ectopics suggests that they arise from irritated spots on the heart and also they fire off when the heart itself misfires or the signal doesn't reach where it suppose to go.  So there are some that fire randomly just because but there are others that are safety mechanisms that help keep the heart functioning.  So some of them are good for us but it makes me wonder the ones that are firing off because the heart didn't pump properly is it because I let my avnrt go for too long and there is some sort of damage to the heart albeit nothing major or is it just another issue I was born with.  I just don't know.  It seems to make logical sense to me but I am not a doctor so it is just a theory and not based in any real science.  And for the most part no ones heart functions totally properly their whole lives.  Everyone has some sort of hiccup from time to time I think most just don't notice.  

That said, especially in the case of avnrt, a disruption in the beat cycle is generally what triggers the episode.  The signal needs to have time to reach the center of the avnode where it will then go out the other end of the pathway and create a loop.  Essentially in avnrt you have 2 pathways in, a normal one and an extra one that the signal travels a bit slower on.  If the extra slower pathway has time to complete entry into the avnode when a person has a pause from a pac or pvc then that is generally when a person will fall into tachycardia.  Does this mean that everyone who has avnrt has ectopics.  Possible but there are other reasons for the heart to pause though I am not sure what those are. So the bottom line is you could already have pacs or pvcs that you don't feel and if you don't feel them now you may never feel them.  Supposedly everyone has them but it is just some feel them while others never do.  Or you may not have any at all since you don't feel something else besides a fast beat from time to time.  Like I said I feel my ectopics.  I don't know that I always did but I do seem to now though it seems the farther away from my ablation the less intense they feel.  I am six months out.  And my doctor seems to believe that I will stop noticing them so it may indeed be the case in the near future.

But I don't know that not having the ablation is the answer.  My ectopics did seem to increase afterwards but I also recall feeling episodes of flutters and weirdness before the ablation before I knew what they were that could have very well have been a bad bouts of ectopics.  I don't know because they were never captured.  But though they were a bit bothersome for a little while after the ablation they have calmed down now and I have days where I don't notice many at all and I really don't feel like I am noticing the fluttering anymore unless I get stressed out.  But in general I just have to watch how hard I push myself for my cardio workouts. But there are others who don't mention having ectopics at all after their ablations so there is no guarantee you won't have them but there is no guarantee you will either, especially since you don't feel them now.

I guess what I am saying, if it were me in your position, I would try the ablation.  Maybe ask them not to do any burning unless they can induce.  Because knowing what I know now I do think repeated episodes will have a toll on your heart eventually so why not head it off earlier rather than later.  I kind of think the medical community should take svts a little more serious but they don't because you could be inviting trouble down the road and if I wasn't so naive about my own svt 10 years ago I would have pursued it back then.

No one can decide for you whether or not to do the ablation.  You have to decide that for yourself.  There is no guarantee this ablation will work, there is no guarantee you won't have ectopics but there is no guarantee you will either.  And there is no guarantee your svt will ever get to a problem point.  But you are guaranteed to have another episode.  That is the only thing you can count on.  So weigh the fact that your svt won't go away with the possibility you may have some ectopics afterwards and just go with what feel the most comfortable for you.  If you are super super agitated about doing the ablation then may hold off.  I know the nice thing about your health care is it won't cost you an arm and a leg to do it where it does here in the states.  Crazy high costs but that said you do have to wait if you do decide in the future that it needs to be done.  So take that into account as well and just go with what feels right in your heart.  Let all the talk in your head go and follow the path that feels the most right.  One of them will feel more right than the other.  That is the road to follow.  

Take care and I wish you the best whatever you decide to do.  (((Hugs)))  
I'm back!
Well, I had the ablation on Mon and it was actually much much easier than I thought. I felt no pain and was away with the faries for most of it whcih was good too!

The recovery has been tough. I lost my appetite for 2 days and had sinus tacycardia for 2 days too. Unfortunately I was given an 80% success rate as he couldn't ablate it all as my heart went up to 140 and the EP thought it best to sstop. 80 % is still good....but I had an SVT episode the next day which stopped once I took  my verapamil He wants me to go in next week for another ablation. He's very certain of succes 2nd time round...I have the most common one, avnrt I think it's called and he reckons it's a shame he couldn't burn off 2 extra areas as that would have sorted me out. I am very stressed about it all again. Noit the procedure itself but the recovery. I've had the worse few days of my life and going through that again is scary, especially feeling my heart rate go fast and also the burning sensation on  my chest. Part of me doesn't want to do it....
I'm happy to hear that you got through it fine.  Wow, I've never heard of anyone going back in soon.  But you've come this far, right?  What part of recovery has been bad for you?
I've never heard of anyone going in that soon either. The vessels they use for the catheters have to heal up a bit I imagine.

I'm glad the procedure went well for you. Sorry the recovery has been uncomfortable. I've had 3 ablations and although I felt some fatigue and dull ache in the chest, overall I was more happy to have it over that worry about going in. You will recover and gradually feel better. Be sure to ask the cardio about going in for another ablation so soon.
Thanks for your ggod wishes.

He justs wants to sort me out and get it over and done with. He reckons I'll need a general anaesthetic as he could tell I was nervous hence the increased heart rate. He said it was a shame he couldn't do all of it and I'm glad he played it safe. They want me to go in on Thur, I got a message on Fri, but there's no way that I'm fit enough.

I consider myself fit and healthy...I go to the gym 3 times a week, swim a couple of times, walk a lot and eat relatively well. but this knocked me out
.
Probably having an SVT less than 24 hours after didn't help and put strain on the heart, I don't know. All I know is that for 2 days I didn't want to talk, eat, I couldn't walk much and was out of breath going up the stairs at home. My heart was quite fast too which was scary and I had no idea I was going to get a sore chest...again scary. I'm much better now, nearly normal after 6 days although I'm taking it easy as I still get tired.

Like tom  says...I've come this far....but this has been a tough week and not sure I want to do it again. But then again, the though of SVTs...urgh!