Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Can a-fib cause a heart murmur?

Can a-fib or flutter cause a heart murmur? I went for a check up yesterday and the physcian assistant listened to  my heart and carotid arteries and on the right side she kept checking both. I asked her if there was a problem with my carotid artery and she said no that it was a heart murmur that she was hearing. This came as a surprise to me because I have been seeing a EP every six months for years and last year I had an ablation for fib and flutter and no one has ever mentioned a murmur. Should I call my EP and have it checked out? Or is a murmur nothing to worry about?

Jan
1 Responses
612551 tn?1450025775
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think the other way around is possible, but I don't believe AFib can cause a murmur. If murmur is due to a leaky valve, that can cause enlargement of the atrial chamber, and that can cause AFib.  That is more or less what happen to me.  My condition was never called a murmur, it was called a leaky valve.  This may be because the leaky valve in my case didn't make enough noise to hear on a stethoscope - it was found with an echo cardiogram.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.