Heart Rhythm Community

Catheter Ablation for SVT - any success stories as I'm so scared?

Hi, I'm a 32 year old female, diagnosed with SVT in December 2011. I saw an Electrophysiologist in March and he advised that I have a Catheter Ablation due to possibly having AVRNT or a concealed accessory pathway...
I am absolutely dreading it to say the least. I understand that I may be sedated and I have never experienced that before. I don't want to be awake and know what they are doing as the whole thing freaks me out. I am als petrified that something will go wrong. Can anybody share anything that will make me feel a little better? I know I need to have it done as I am living with constant fear of the SVT. Many thanks :-)
I think I will be in the same boat here, soon, ReggieEve.  It is a scary thing (something touching my HEART eek!), but it is described as a relatively safe/commonplace procedure from everything I've read.  Can I ask, how did your doctor diagnose the SVT?  Did you do an EP study?  I am still being evaluated, but think it's SVT.  Anyway, only advise I have is to stay off internet and reading the horror stories, focus on the success stories and stay positive.  Imagine life without SVT.  Yay for that!  Good luck to you.
Hi Sainty_71 thank you for your reply. After I had my first child 18months ago my GP referred me to a cardiologist as I was experiencing alot of lightheadedness with a few nasty dizzy spells out of the blue. They couldnt find anything serious and had ECG's done and an Adenosine & Flecainide challenge. My doc then just thought it was anxiety. I was admitted to hospital with the first time where my heart was at 230bpm it was captured by the ambulancemen on ecg, they got me to reduce it by bearing down (vagal exercise). I was prescribed Bisoprolol and referred back to my cardiologist who then prescribed additional flecainide and referred me to an EP. I saw the EP in March and he just said to have an ablation, didnt mention ding a study, I guess they do the 2 together..
I hope you get sorted too and I understand how horrible it all is.
I do try to ignore reading the bad but there's just so many isnt there, Not as many success stories as I would like to see. Im a huge worrier about my health as it is.
Hi ReggieEve. Sounds like you ahve a rather definitive diagnosis, so that's good.  It can elude doctors for months/years, postponing treatment options. I am grateful that I had an event 2 days ago that got recorded on my heart monitor.  I'm anxious to hear what the doctor thinks and actually hopeful that it is SVT since there is a solution to the problem if that's the case.  I was diagnosed with POTS last fall but I have never agreed with the diagnosis.  I just can't relate to a lot of the stuff I read about it, or at the least mine is to a much lesser degree.  The SVT fits better, but who knows. I had two events while driviing (tachycardia with near faints), and I obviously can't have that, so I need a solution.  

I'm sure your ablation will go well and you can enjoy good health again with your little one.  I also worry about my health a great deal, so I understand.  I just try to stop myself from thinking about all of the horrible "what ifs" and accept that I have no control over this and that some gift will likely come from it, as is usually the case with any challenge/adversity I've faced in the past. Easier said than done, but I'm trying!
Don't want to steer you wrong, but while I was at the hospital for my tilt table test, there was a lady next to me having an ablation and I believe she was awake for the procedure, though I think they gave her local anesthesia.  It didn't seem like it was a huge deal to her, though I think she had some soreness afterward.  It's been a lot of years since then, and my memory may be faulty.  You might try your post on the cardiac arrhythmia or heart arrhythmia forum- SVT is not considered a form of dysautonomia and there may be more people over there that can give you better information!
There are a lot of us here on the forum who have undergone successful cardiac ablation.  I had mine done in November 2010 for AVRT, more precisely Circus Movement Tachycardia, a high rate, self sustaining form of SVT.  I had this condition for 54 years or nearly all of my life.  Today I live a normal life free of SVT, and I'm loving it.  I was fully sedated for the entire procedure and remember nothing except scooting from the gurney onto the cath lab table.  I've been sedated menu times over the years for various operations and procedures, and the sedation they use now, often Propofol, is a very pleasant anesthesia, much better than anything I experienced before.  We're always monitoring the forum of you have any questions, and you can read my journals as well as those of Jannie411 for a very thorough and detailed explanation of her ablation procedure.
Just an additional comment:
The electrophysiology procedure is not without it's risks, but has become quite routine.  During the procedure, you have everyone you'd ever want in there with you in case there was an emergency.  Don't be afraid to question the electrophysiologist on his experience as well as his success record.  Also, leading edge equipment doesn't necessarily mean the best.  My electrophysiologist shuns steerable magnetic catheters in favor of his hand control, and deft touch.