Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Coumadin vs. 81mg aspirin

I have a-fib, but it is under control with sotalol.  I have visited the Cleveland Heart Clinic in 2007.  I was put on coumadin because I had a small stroke after 12 hrs. of a-fib (prior to being put on sotalol).  I no longer have a-fib on sotalol.  I would like to get off coumadin and take 1 or 2 81 mg. aspirin instead.  Do you think this would be prudent?  Thanks
4 Responses
335873 tn?1264917069
There is a protocol for medical control of Afib. As my cardiologist explained to me, over 65 years of age with persistent Afib requires coumadin or a like medication for blood thinning. The fact that you've had a stroke already indicates a higher need of control via coumadin or a similar drug. I'm 51 with paroxysmal Afib and I'm on 81mg aspirin for it. If I were in your position, and likely I will someday, I'd stick with the more aggressive therapy. My 83 year old mom has Afib and handles coumadin well.
996946 tn?1503252712
I've had a-fib for about 10-12 yrs. Diet pills and ephedrine brought it on. I've taken digoxin, flecanaide, and now I'm back on rhythmol 3 times a day and a small topral XL and quit my nightly ambien. Because my a-fib  had increased to weekly episodes of 1-3 days, Dr told me I could go on Coumadin or sit back and wait for a stroke. I opted for the Coumadin and I haven't had a-fib since. He also is very big on ablation. Anyway, I would really like to get off some of the meds. Any suggestions???
66068 tn?1365196781
Med researchers have devised a simple scoring system to help doctors and afib patients decide whether coumadin is warranted.  Called the CHADS model, it assigns a score from 0 to 6, based on the patient's age and other medical conditions. See the website

http://heartdisease.about.com/library/weekly/aa080601a.htm

for details. In my case, I had a score of 1 and my cardiologist gave me a choice of aspirin or coumadin. I opted for coumadin because one thing I don't want in my life is a stroke (see the percentage risk for each CHADS score).  It's inconvenient to be tested once a month for PT/INR but better safe than sorry IMO.

In your case, a prior stroke gives you two points and so it's highly recommended by the model that you continue taking coumadin. What does your cardiologist say?

Tony
66068 tn?1365196781
I should mention that it doesn't matter that you are now in normal sinus ryhthm with sotalol. You now have an increased risk of stroke.  Once you have had afib, even once, the risk becomes significant and can't be ignored.

From the journal of atrial fibrillation:

"The risk of stroke increases whether the lone atrial fibrillation was an isolated episode, recurrent, or chronic. "

I suggest that you discuss this with your cardiologist and follow his/her recommendations on whether to take aspirin or coumadin.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.