Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Do beta blockers really reduce SCD risk? If so, can I stay on them indeffinitely?

I don't think I have the money for ablation surgery, or if that would even work for me.  I definitely don't have the money for an ICD.  I figure I can just take beta blockers for the rest of my life and hope for the best.  That being said, I'm only 33 and If I'm lucky to live another 5, 10 or 15 years, that's a long time to take a drug every single day.  Are there serious risks associated with long-term beta blocker use?  Aside from lethargy and fatigue?  And is the drug even effective?  If my SCD risk is lowered by 5%, I'd rather not take it.  

Thank you.  
2 Responses
20748650 tn?1521035811
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you even HAVE SCD risk? What makes you think you have SCD risk?
2 Comments
I get couplets and triplets (NSVT), as well as bigeminy, mostly during sex but also when I'm in a stressful situation, like when I'm talking to someone I don't like.  Strangely, I haven't gotten any of it during exercise.  
This doesn’t necessarily mean you have SCD risk.

You can actually go into VT for a Solid 20 seconds or more and still not have markedly increased SCD risk.
20748650 tn?1521035811
COMMUNITY LEADER
To clarify:

All couplets, patterns and NSVT tells us is that you MAY be at higher risk. However all that ultimately depends on what the diagnostic workup shows.

It is one component of risk stratification but on its own means nothing. It needs to be taken in context with other data, family history, nature of symptoms, echo results(EF), pvc burden, coronary history etc.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.