Heart Rhythm Community

Do you or someone you love have AFib? Please share your experience if you feel it...

... may help others. - What is atrial fibrillation (AFib, AF)?Atrial fibrillation (also referred to as AFib, Afib, A-fib, and AF) is an irregular and often rapid heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the upper chambers (atria, singular=atrium) of the heart that cause the heartbeat (ventricle contraction) to be irregular and usually fast. The abnormal heart rhythm can be continuous, or it can come and go. Some individuals, especially patients on medications, may have atrial fibrillation constantly but not have a rapid (>100 heartbeats per minute) rate at rest. Variations of AFib may be termed paroxysmal, persistent, or permanent (these are further described below). AFib is the most common heart arrhythmia.Normal heart contractions begin as an electrical impulse in the right atrium. This impulse comes from an area of the atrium called the sinoatrial (SA) or sinus node, the "natural pacemaker" that causes the normal range of regular heartbeats. Normal heartbeats proceed as follows:The electrical impulse originates in the SA node of the right atrium. As the impulse travels through the atrium, it produces a wave of muscle contractions. This causes the atria to contract.The impulse reaches the atrioventricular (AV) node in the muscle wall between the two ventricles. There, it pauses, giving blood from the atria time to enter the ventricles.The impulse then continues into the ventricles, causing ventricular contraction that pushes the blood out of the heart, completing a single heartbeat.In an adult person with a normal heart rate and rhythm the heart beats 50-100 times per minute at rest (not under stress or exercising).If the heart beats more than 100 times per minute, the heart rate is considered fast (tachycardia).If the heart beats less than 50 times per minute, the heart rate is considered slow (bradycardia).In atrial fibrillation, multiple sources of impulses other than only from the SA node travel through the atria at the same time. The reason that these sources develop are not completely understood, but cardiac muscles in the pulmonary veins have electrical generating properties and may be one source of these extra impulses.Instead of a coordinated contraction, the atrial contractions are irregular, disorganized, chaotic, and very rapid. The atria may contract at a rate of 400-600 beats per minute. The blood flow from the pulmonary veins and the vena cava through the two atria to the ventricles is often disrupted.These irregular impulses reach the AV node in rapid succession, but not all of them make it past the AV node. Therefore, the ventricles beat more slowly than the atria, often at fairly fast rates of 110-180 beats per minute in an irregular rhythm.The resulting rapid, irregular heartbeat causes an irregular pulse and sometimes a sensation of fluttering in the chest.Atrial fibrillation can occur in several different patterns.Intermittent (paroxysmal): The heart develops atrial fibrillation and typically converts back again spontaneously to normal (sinus) rhythm. The episodes may last anywhere from seconds to days.Persistent: Atrial fibrillation occurs in episodes, but the arrhythmia does not convert back to sinus rhythm spontaneously. Medical treatment or cardioversion (electrical treatment) is required to end the episode.Permanent: The heart is always in atrial fibrillation. Conversion back to sinus rhythm either is not possible or is deemed not appropriate for medical reasons. In most cases, the rate is reduced by medications and the patients are placed on anti-clotting medication for their lifetime.Atrial fibrillation, often called AFib, atrial tachyarrhythmia, or atrial tachycardia, is one of the very common heart rhythm disorders.It affects mostly people older than 60 years. People older than 40 have about a 25% chance of developing AFib in their lifetime.The risk of developing atrial fibrillation increases as we get older.For many people, atrial fibrillation may cause symptoms but does no harm.Complications like blood clot formation, strokes, and heart failure can arise, but appropriate treatment reduces the chances that such complications will develop.If treated properly, atrial fibrillation infrequently causes serious or life-threatening problems.
I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation six months ago after passing out 2 times within an hour and them again in the ambulance. I have had cardioversion 3 times. First 2 did not work. Third time seems to be holding. I take amiodarone, Taztia, Xarelto, metoprolol, hydrochlorothiazide, and losartan potassium. A lot of pills but they seem to be working.
I had a pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation in 2007. Successful! In 2014 I experienced an irregular heartbeat. I am one of the atrial fibrillation people who feel the irregular heartbeat. The episodes didn't last long; less than one hour. I tried to get to an emergency room for diagnosis but the irregular heartbeats converted to normal sinus rhythm. I had a Medtronic link implanted monitor inserted and within one week, it confirmed atrial fibrillation. I had a repeat pulmonary vein ablation 9 months ago; I am atrial fibrillation free.
I have had atrial fibrillation for over 3 years. I tried living with it, but I started getting depressed and feeling more run down every month. Four cardioversions did not help. I finally had an ablation on 12/23/2015. So far it is working, but it is too soon to say how successful it is. My heart is in rhythm and I feel better every day.
Was diagnosed of Coronary Heart Disease in 2018. I was extremely short of breath. My doctor started me on  lasix and digoxin, the medications helped but not very much. My primary care doctor referred me to Herbal HealthPoint, i immediately started on their CH-D FORMULA. I had a total decline in major symptoms including angina, sob, fatigue and others. Go to ww w. herbalhealthpoint. c o.m... This herbal treatment protocol totally reversed my heart condition