A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members
1815251 tn?1316819004

Heart Palpitations

Hello!  I am 21 and have recently been experiencing episodes of tachycardia.  Today was only the second time it has occured but its beginning to worry me.  The first experience was during a game of follow the leader.  I was doing some big jumps, only a few at a time so nothing that constitutes as cardio, and suddenly my heart began to race and  my hearing was dampened.  Felt a bit like a fight or  flight response.  I took a few deep breaths and in about 30 seconds i was alright.  Two days later during a light workout i experienced the same 'fight or flight' feeling, my heart was beating so hard and fast it made my throat hurt and i had dampened hearing again. had to sit down and breathe and then went on about my business.  I am in shape, eat reasonably healthy foods, teach at a fitness center, and this is the first time i have had any signs of a heart problem.  The first experience i thought maybe i didn't have enough to eat and low blood sugar but the second encounter makes me think i should get it checked out.  Any thoughts?
1 Responses
1807132 tn?1318747197
I would suggest making a diary to keep track of your symptoms.  Write down how often you get them, any triggers that might cause them, how long they are, and how fast your heart is beating.  A sporting goods store has exercise watches that will read your pulse.  It is possible and probably likely you may have a simple svt.  They are not life threatening but they can get more frequent over time.  The important thing now is to get diagnosed.  So get your notes together and go see your GP who may likely send you to see a cardiologist for a full check up of your heart.  Best of luck and try not to worry too much.  Most tachycardias are not life threatening even in the long term.  
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.