Heart Rhythm Community

Heart Recovery Rate

I have run a few marathons and have now decided to track my pulse to assist in my training.  Within a minute of stopping exercises my pulse is typically anywhere from 110 to 120.  However, I have noticed that my pulse will drop to 60 within the first minute of recovery and then go back to 108, etc.. I have put below 4 days of my readings after running.  The last reading seems bizarre, but I did run 13 miles that day and was a little dehydrated so I probably should throw out that reading.

Note my average resting pulse is 35.  Yes, thats correct it is 35 and occasionally it is 31.  2 years ago I recorded a 33 at my doctor's office and they confirmed with some type of test it was a correct reading.  The dr said the combination of my dna (my 3 brothers have high 30's when they are in excellent shape) and being in good shape has resulted in my low pulse.  I'm sure I am fine based on his feedback from 2 years ago , but I am curious about my Heart Recovery rate and if it drops significantly in the first minute and then goes up is normal.

My age is 50.

119 7:32 AM
75 7:32 AM
111 7:33 AM
60 7:33 AM
118 7:33

104 8:32 AM
103 8:33 AM
66 8:33 AM
103 8:34 AM

101 7:47
68 7:47
92 7:48
95 7:48

42 8:07
77 8:08
53 8:09
78 8:09
It's probably been that way your entire life and your just finding out about it because you bought a HRM and you're looking at the data?  probably has something to do with endocrine and sinus arrhythmia but these are completely normal.  I've monitored my pulse for training and I had to stop because I was overthinking it and making problems for myself where none existed.

Just my humble opinion, and the opinion of my friends who also run marathons, monitoring pulse for training purposes has very limited value. Two of my friends just ran Boston, 2:50:00 runners (6:30 average pace).  Neither monitors pulse for training, they monitor pace.  They've monitored pulse in the past but it turned out to be of little value and amounted to a curiosity.  

Monitoring pace tells the bigger picture.

And it's not just your heart moving blood during this type of activity, there's also "muscle milking" a.k.a. skeletal-muscle pump activity.   I think this is why some people say they benefit from compression garments, I could see how it would assist with this but I'm guessing.