Heart Rhythm Community

Heart feels like it is stopping then emptying into lungs

While sleeping (during the night only) I feel as if my heart has stopped and then all the blood seems to go into my lungs. I can feel the stopping and then I feel as if I am drowning and cannot breathe.  I wake up so quickly gasping and then the sensation is gone.
This happens about once a month.
Otherwise healthy female, no meds, 180 lbs, non-smoker, light drinker (1 drink a week), eats a healthy diet, some caffeine but not a lot.
I'm not understanding the the trouble breathing or how you can feel blood emptying into your lungs.  Never heard that one before.  

It sounds like some sort of heart ectopic beat, a premature ventricular contraction or premature atrial contraction but that's impossible to tell without catching it on an EKG.  

The give people all sorts of sensations when they happen, so perhaps that's what your feeling, and it's probably some anxiety over the issue too..