Heart Rhythm Community

High Calcium Levels, Palpitations, Anxiety?

Hi Everyone,

I am a 40-year-old woman (mother of three), and I just haven't been feeling well for the past couple of years. I thought it was depression (post partum), exhaustion from raising three kids under 6, full time job, but something just doesn't seem right. I feel frequent anxiety and depression, racing heart, palpitations, foggy brained, trouble concentrating, panic attacks which results in high BP spikes and tachycardia. I have tried different antidepressants (Zoloft, Amitriptyline, Lexapro) but cannot tolerate them even at the most tiny dose. I have been put on beta-blockers for anxiety, which helps slow the heart rate but not always reduce the BP spikes. I also have a history of multinodular goiter.

All of my bloodwork and thyroid test results have come back normal EXCEPT for my calcium levels. Since 2012, I have had readings of 10.0, 11.1, 10.4, 10.8, and 10.4.  No one has seemed to flag this as being overly concerning, even when I have been to the ER for panic attacks.  I am concerned that for the last 3-5 years, this may be the unexplained cause for all my issues. I thought perhaps perimenopause, but I had a baby a year ago.

I feel like I am losing my mind. Could this fog/depression/anxiety, and panic, and palps be cause by hypercalcemia?

I am awaiting PTH test results, and am hoping that this will shed some light on things. I don't want to die from this or destroy my body! Too many people depend on me.