Heart Rhythm Community
12k Members

I had an A-Fib episode about a month ago, I’m seeking more information?

I guess the question title isn’t al that specific, but I’ll list them out here. I’m a 25, a few days away from 26, year old male. I had fainted at work and was taken to the hospital where I stayed for a few nights. I was diagnosed with A-Fib and am currently on the same medicine that converted me back to a normal sinus rhythm.

I’ve seen the cardiologist and my heart echo came back as my heart looking fine, but other than that I didn’t get a lot of answers to my questions. Such as, what exactly caused me to faint? If the heart echo came back well, then is there something else wrong with my heart? I did a stress test a few days ago, and am on an event monitor till the 13th of January. Then see the cardiologist again on the last day of February.

I still get chest pains that come and go, is there any chance I’m back in A-Fib? Just looking for a discussion along these questions.

Thanks in advance!
Wow, that must have been scary.

You can faint when your heart goes out of rhythm - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5135178/ Did that cause your fainting? Hard to tell.

Afib doesn't always show on an echo. A echo is a brief window into your heart, and it won't catch afib if it's not happening at that time. https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/afib-diagnosis#1 With the results of the event monitor and stress test, along with the echo, your cardiologist will have a clearer picture of what is happening.

You could be back in afib with the chest pain that comes and goes, but there are many other things that can cause this. This is something you can talk to your cardiologist about. Maybe keep a diary of when you feel the pain, and see if you can compare it to what the event monitor shows, so you can begin to recognize what is and isn't afib.

Waiting is one of the hardest parts, I think, of being "sick". You know you don't feel well, or "right", but you don't really know why. It's quite frustrating. Hang in there!

Keep a list of questions for your doctor so you don't forget them the next time you meet with him/her.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply. I guess it is a waiting game. I got my event monitor read cause I had some extreme chest pain and another visit to the ER. The monitor I was hooked up to was showing R on T and Nonsustained VT. So, I was in the ER for what seemed like forever. They were debating keeping me, but thought that movement showed a false reading in regards to the VT, and R on T readings.

Which I followed up with my cardiologist the next day and told me that every looks good via the monitor and EKGs and was most likely a false reading. All blood tests came back well.  Even the stress test didn’t show anything. Besides my liver enzymes being elevated. So they advised to get that checked out with a family doctor.

I know this is probably a question for the cardiologist but I was looking at my records, I was diagnosed with Paroxsymal Atrial Fibrillation. Does this mean I’ll be dealing with this the rest of my life?

Again, the information you provided was simple but surely reassuring as there isn’t a lot to base anything true cause to get. Thanks!
This link explains what paroxysmal afib is - https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/paroxysmal-atrial-fibrillation-facts#1

Essentially, once your heartbeat returns to normal after 7 days, you have paroxsymal AFib. This is often a permanent condition. Again, the only way to know is time and waiting (I'm so sorry - there are no easy answers here.)

Definitely get your liver checked out. One of the possible causes for AFib is drinking a lot of alcohol, which can also elevate your liver enzymes. Obviously, I have no idea if you drink a lot or not, or ever. If you do, that's something to talk about with your doctor.

Keep us posted!