A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members
16064957 tn?1445037575

Inverted T Wave - Lead III

Allow me to preface this by advising that I will be getting my butt into a cardiologist's office next week, but would be grateful for any feedback, opinions, or other banter!

Summary:  Moved to Florida in May and had first annual physical today, inclusive of EKG.  EKG showed a negative T-wave in Lead III.  What gives???

Details:  40 year old male, no history of arrhythmia, screened negative for HCM 7-8 years ago (EKG & Echo), completely asymptomatic.  Ironman triathlete, 12-15 hours of typically high intensity training weekly without any issue.  No family history of cardio issues.

Medical:  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypo); previously had somewhat elevated LDL levels, but calcium score test showed Zero risk;  Full blood panel a year ago showed normal LDL levels.

The doctor (today) was not able to properly explain potential reasons for my inverted T wave and simply ordered an echo.  I'm not a medical professional, but have been surrounded by medicine my entire life - ironically even becoming passionate about HCM screening.  

Any theories?  False reading?  Perhaps bad lead placement?  HCM and I'm going down on my next bike ride?

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Chris
1 Responses
1124887 tn?1313758491
Negative T in III is an extremely nonspecific finding.

Often it's normal and can be caused by anything from taking a deep breath to being a normal variant. Some people have a leftward axis from having a muscular left ventricle. In that case, both QRS and T could be negative in III

But it can also be caused by a strained right ventricle from high pressure in the pulmonary arteries, so you should ask your cardiologist.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.