Heart Rhythm Forum

Irregular heartbeat?

I am a 45 yo female.  History of anxiety/panic attacks.  In February 2006 I went to the ER with SOB and chest pain.  I remember the term IST after my EKG.  The cardiologist  admitted me.  Over the next three days I had blood work, Echo, thallium stress test, monitoring, and a catheterization.  I was told it was anxiety, had exercise intolerance and needed to lose weight (I weighed 175 at that time).  I have since lost 45-50 pounds, but still do not exercise.

I always had normal bp (120/80).  After losing weight, I noticed it was more likely to be 115/75.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last October and am on Synthroid .50  mg.  When I went to the endo my bp was 121/92, and each subsequent time at his office my diastolic would be in the low 90's.  

I purchased a home bp monitor in order to keep track in case there was a problem.  (I got an Omron model.)  I was surprised to find that my bp at home was actually low, usually in the 90's/60's.  The lowest I've ever had it read was 81/55. But, at the doctor's office it would be high, 130/90.  I saw the cardiologist again 2-3 months ago to run this by him and he did an EKG and said he'd see me in 6 months.  He feels that I have either an auto-immune or endocrine problem that is causing my symptoms (bp fluctuations, Raynaud's, skin flushing).  I had extensive blood work done at the rheumatologist which did not indicate any other auto-immune disease other than the Hashimoto's and Raynaud's.

Is the fluctuation in bp concerning?  I do sometimes feel lightheaded (mostly when seated).  Could this be a form of dysautonomia?  My cardiologist indicated that was a possibility but didn't offer testing.  

Lastly, my bp monitor sometimes gives me the "irregular heartbeat" symbol.  This occurs when I sitt down and take my bp without waiting the 15-30 minutes the instructions say.  If I then sit quietly and then retake it is normal.  Anxiety does cause my pulse rate to fluctuate a lot as well.

Thank you,

Cindy
It is common for blood pressure to be higher at the doctors office. That is quite a swing but suggests that you might be pretty anxious to see your doctor -- whether you overtly recognize this or not.

It could be dysautomia.  There are not great tests or treatments for this though.  I am not sure what tests I would offer either.

The home blood pressure tests are a mixed blessing.  Some information is ok but there comes a point when people can obsess about it and this only adds to the blood pressure pulse issues.  I can't really assess over the internet if you are taking it too often but i have certainly seen it before.  I am not sure what else to say.  These can be difficult situations to treat because it is hard to pinpoint the exact problem.
I appreciate your response.  I guess I was a bit convoluted in my question.  What I am most concerned about is the "irregular heartbeat" symbol and whether that actually indicates I have a rhythm problem or is the fact that I'm not sitting quietly for a period of time before I take my bp causing that to come up.  

Cindy
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else