Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.2k Members

Looking for a heart rate monitor with alarm

I have vasovagal syncope, and sometimes pass out during procedures such as having blood drawn or getting shots. Most recently, I was having dental work done when I passed out, and unfortunately the dentist and assistant didn't notice because I was already reclined and my eyes don't close when I pass out. When I came to, I started struggling, gagging and vomiting which obviously caused some problems with the dental work they were doing. I tend to vomit immediately after having an episode, so this is pretty common. But having dental instruments in my mouth really complicated things, I thought I was going to choke to death.

For my next appointment I'd like to have a heart rate monitor set up with an alarm if I go below 40 BPM. If they can hear or notice an alarm, they can remove dental instruments and other material from my mouth in case I start gagging and vomiting when I wake back up.

Does anyone know of such a device? It would need to be running constantly, on its own, for at least 2-3 hours, taking measurements every 5-10 seconds or so. Most of the devices I see require a button being pressed to get the measurement, this won't work. And the alarm would have to be able to detect low heart rates, not high heart rates like I noticed a lot of other devices do. I have an iPhone I could connect it to if required.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318743597
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511085442
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.