Heart Rhythm Community

Medications and Insomnia

Are there any blood pressure medications that help with PVC's that don't have insomnia as a possible side effect?

Thanks,
Mary
COMMUNITY LEADER
I haven't checked, but I don't recall seeing insomnia listed as a side effect of the usual selective beta blockers, such as Metoprolol.  I have taken that med for several years and at a high dose part of that time. I have had some dream problems (may not be related to the BB) but no insomnia.
I agree with Jerry that is the first time i have heard that one.....a beta blocker blocks adrenaline and relaxes the heart so maybe it isn't bb related but anxiety related because of what is going on with you?  I would call the doc and tell him/her that you are having issues sleeping and maybe they can give you a little something something to help you out with this......
I take Atenalol (Tenormin) which is a beta blocker  for my SVT's, and it's also for high blood pressure. Rather than insomnia it seems to help me get to sleep, and relaxes everything especially if I take a low dose before bedtime. What does happen though is that I seem to sleep for about 4 or 5 hours and then wake up and can't get back to sleep. It definately does give me vivid dreams, in colour too!. If I could only record them I could sell them to Speilberg for movies and make a fortune.