Heart Rhythm Community

Metoprolol Question

I am taking metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice and day because my heart rate was a little high when I saw my doctor 122 bpm.  I was on 50mg twice a day, but my doc cut it due to side effects.  I'm still suffering side effects, stiff arms, legs, and depression.  I am also having some difficulty with my blood sugar, stays low.  I feel like all I do is eat, when I asked my cardiologist he said to talk to my general practitioner.  I have lost my insurance and I am trying to get on a sliding fee scale so I can be seen.  

I guess my main questions would be should I be concerned about my stiffness and am I doing my body more harm than good taking this medication?
COMMUNITY LEADER
You didn't tell us what benefit you are getting from the BB.  How far down has you HR come from 122, assumed at rest.

I believe a resting HR above 100 indicates the need to bring it down.  

25 mg of metoprolol (regular release) is very low - how long have you been at that dose level?  If only a few days I think you may need to give it a little more time...again if it is helping lower your HR.

I take the same dose myself and it, along with a calcium channel blocker (all generic, low cost versions) bring my resting HR from about 130 down to about 80.  My HR is also irregular because I suffer from atrial fibrillation.

I was at 122 just at the doctor's office, I have white coat syndrome LOL!  I was at 102 resting at home. I had gone to the ER prior to the office visit because my blood pressure was elevated and my arm was burning.  They said it wasn't my heart, but maybe a panic attack.  I had gone to a cardiologist and had a stress test, ekg, etc.  

Everything came back normal, but he said I should take it to lower my heart rate and bp( it was just slightly elevated) until I lost some weight.  I have been on it for 6 weeks twice a day.