Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Metoprolol Question

I am taking metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice and day because my heart rate was a little high when I saw my doctor 122 bpm.  I was on 50mg twice a day, but my doc cut it due to side effects.  I'm still suffering side effects, stiff arms, legs, and depression.  I am also having some difficulty with my blood sugar, stays low.  I feel like all I do is eat, when I asked my cardiologist he said to talk to my general practitioner.  I have lost my insurance and I am trying to get on a sliding fee scale so I can be seen.  

I guess my main questions would be should I be concerned about my stiffness and am I doing my body more harm than good taking this medication?
2 Responses
612551 tn?1450025775
COMMUNITY LEADER
You didn't tell us what benefit you are getting from the BB.  How far down has you HR come from 122, assumed at rest.

I believe a resting HR above 100 indicates the need to bring it down.  

25 mg of metoprolol (regular release) is very low - how long have you been at that dose level?  If only a few days I think you may need to give it a little more time...again if it is helping lower your HR.

I take the same dose myself and it, along with a calcium channel blocker (all generic, low cost versions) bring my resting HR from about 130 down to about 80.  My HR is also irregular because I suffer from atrial fibrillation.

I was at 122 just at the doctor's office, I have white coat syndrome LOL!  I was at 102 resting at home. I had gone to the ER prior to the office visit because my blood pressure was elevated and my arm was burning.  They said it wasn't my heart, but maybe a panic attack.  I had gone to a cardiologist and had a stress test, ekg, etc.  

Everything came back normal, but he said I should take it to lower my heart rate and bp( it was just slightly elevated) until I lost some weight.  I have been on it for 6 weeks twice a day.  
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.