Heart Rhythm Community

Omega 3

I know that omega 3 is really supposed to be good for the heart, but I get palps after I take them for 3 days, especially krill oil. I've read in this forum that others have also had adverse reactions to taking this supplement.  So I wanted to put this poll out to see how omega 3 affects you. The first time I suspected krill oil, which is supposed to be the best omega 3, I used the process of elimination. Still not believing it I did it a second and third time. Now I don't dare take it even after my ablation for SVT because I don't want the other arrythmias. I also figure that we in this forum who are trying to figure out the triggers for arrythmias can make each other aware when we come across something that causes an arrythmia, something we'd never thought about before. I found an article from USA Today that talks about fish oil and arrythmias. It is:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-06-14-fish-oil_x.htm
On Omega-3 supplements, I notice a significant increase in PVCs as well as slight increase in general twitchiness or anxiety.  Yeah, it's a sample size of one and I'm the only observer, but that's the way it seems to me.  However, some scientists have observed problems in giving patients these supplements:

http://www.examiner.com/nutrition-in-sacramento/university-of-san-francisco-studies-how-fish-oil-worsens-certain-heart-conditions

Similarly, In patients with bipolar disorder, fish oil supplements have generally been shown to be helpful in quieting their symptoms--except for a very, very small group in whom the stuff actually triggers mania.

It's another case of One Size Does Not Fit All--and another bit of evidence that tailoring treatment to the individual is a good idea.

Thanks for your post and the article. I love finding articles that show some kind of support for my fish oil theory. I agree that one size certainly doesn't fit all. I've read posts where some people swear by fish oil for their hearts and some, though less, who have the very opposite effect. For those suffering from the dreaded arrythmias that interfere so much with life, I just thought this would give them something to consider while trying to figure out triggers.
Happens to me too~!!! For  a while there I couldnt figure it out.. then.. i stopped taking the pills.. got the "golden standard" brand.. and it happened again.. then.. i just said whack it!! I will eat salmon.. fresh caught.. not farm raised... and about 3 weeks later.. wham..!! same thing.. flax oil does it too.. as well as coconut oil. wont be doing that again.
Did you get a chance to read the articles. It targets people with defribillators who shouldn't take. If I read it right, it hints that people with any arrythmia should be careful with fish oil. Interesting!
I experimented with fish oil for about 9 months and everytime I got back on the fish oil my heart started skipping. NO FISHOIL and lots of MAGNESIUM has been the answer for me.
I looked on the site you recommended for over a half hour and could not find the article about fish oil and skips
So im  not crazy after all.. I have told doctors and other people that fish and omega 3 bother my arrthymia. Noone believed me but I know what happens and it isnt pretty. I stay away from it. I did find an article once that said its good for the heart but people with arrythmias it can make them go into life threating ones.
Yes.. i read the articles... and I was like..YES!! FINALLY!! Validation!!!!!!!!!!! lol  i not crazy!! lol
At the end of the article it says, ""Drugs that affect rhythms are double-edged swords," he says. "The people they're most likely to hurt are the ones with the sickest hearts, with recurrent arrhythmias, the ones we had in our study."

In this article the study group was made up of people with defribillators and they found in 65% it caused more harm than good. When I read this article, all I could think of was if it affects that group of people with arrythmias, is it possible that it affects others in the same way?  I think further studies need to be made on other groups like those who have SVT or PVC's or any of the other arrythmia's that are out there.  
This is such a relief to find others out there who have this problem. When I took it, I tried to blame everything before finally zeroing in on this. If people are having any kind of arrythmia and are taking this thinking it's good for them, they might possibly rethink the fish oil at least consider it when trying to find the triggers. MegaRed krill oil is the worst for me. I've never had arrythmias as bad as when I was on this.
Interesting theory.  Coincidently, around 12 years ago when my arrythmia took a turn for the worse, I was on a health kick, had decided to clean up my health and diet, and started taking fish oil with Omega 3-6-9 and borage oil because I had heard it was heart healthy and would lower my cholesterol.  Never made the connection between the supplements and the worsening arrythmia.  I was on several other self-prescribed vitamin and mineral supplements as well.

Omega 3/fish oil are not the only supplements that cause problems with arrythmia.  I have heard that St. John's Wort can also cause heart problems in those with existing arrythmias.  

Nearly 5 years ago, when I was diagnosed with early-stage BC, my oncologist told me to stop taking all supplements immediately as they were doing more harm than good.  The shocker was learning that cancer feeds on high-antioxidant supplements, which is something I never knew.  The cranberry antioxidant capsules went into the trash immediately.  I know this is not related to heart issues, but wanted to mention this in case anyone else is taking high doses of antioxidants - best to get off them ASAP, especially if you have a history of cancer in your family.

Thank goodness I stopped taking the fish oil when I did - I shudder to think how much worse my SVT could have been had I continued taking it.
I stopped the fish oil supplements as well.  I did a little experiment and noticed far more skips when I took it.  

Debbie