Heart Rhythm Forum

POST-ABLATION CONDITION

I HAD AF ABLATION NINE DAYS AGO.  I AM ON TIKOSYN 250MCG, TWICE DAILY AND METOPROLOL TARTR 12.5 MG TWICE/DAY (THIS PRESCRIBED ONLY WHEN I EXPERIENCED A BEAT OF 160 AFTER RETURNING HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL) .  I AM 78 AND IN GOOD SHAPE, EXCEPT FOR THE HEART ISSUE.  SINCE THE ABLATION I HAVE EXPERIENCED PERHAPS THREE SHORT EPISODES OF GOOD HEART RHYTHM.  MOST OF THE TIME THE HEART HAS BEEN ARRHYTHMIC, SAPPING ENERGY.   I WONDER IF THIS PROLONGED ARRHYMIA IS  NORMAL AFTER SUCH A PROCEDURE.
People can have early recurrence of atrial fibrillation and still have a successful procedure long term.  The longer you stay in atrial fib, the less likely it is that the result will be a success.  Call your doctor and let them know you are back in atrial fib.  They may want to cardiovert you back to a normal rhythm.  Unfortunately time is the only way to judge how successful the procedure is.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else