Heart Rhythm Community

Palpitations when slouching over (poor posture)

Wondering if anyone else gets this?  I noticed when my posture isn't right and I slouch over that I get sometimes palpitations.

"Lying on ones left side or back places the heart into closer proximity with skeletal structures which, in some individuals can result in some actual physical contact between the heart and chest wall.  Since most hearts are easily "annoyed" by touching this can be a common complain" found this on ************ from a Dr.

I am wondering if slouching could somehow have this effect too.  I suppose I should just try not to slouch and see ;-)

Thanks.

Susan
COMMUNITY LEADER
As the doctor says when I tell him it "hurts when I do this" , he says "don't do that" :) supposed to be a joke but like most humor there is an element of truth, thus making it more funny.

If you are overweight and have a (like I) spare tire around the middle, that could crowd the chest if slouching means bending forward at the waist.  This action pushes any tummy fat into the chest/stomach/heart/lungs area, yes everything gets affected.  I hope to lose 20 pounds some, day, maybe after thanksgiving which in the USA is frequently celebrated with eating too much.

Good luck,
This is interesting to me.  Thank you for sharing!!  I know it is true that bad posture isn't good for us.  I guess this is just another reason to sit up straight.  haha

Interestingly, I have lost about 15 pounds, which is strange that this problem is happening now.  But our bodies do shift as we age and I suppose when we lose weight too and I still do need to lose weight (about 20 more pounds).  

anyway, thank you Miss Jerry!!

Susan
My dr. says the the same thing...I tell him it's worse when I lay on my left side so he told me not to lay on my left side :) It's funny that you posted this today. While I was bent over brushing my teeth this morning, my PAC's starting acting up, terribly. I went shopping, and had to continue coughing. I don't think that was helping me out, but gave me something else to focus on while they were teasing me. I feel 100% better this afternoon, but bending and stooping do tend to aggrivate my palps. I would guess that poor posture would do the same...I usually have alot more when I sit with my knees up to my chest (that's how I watch t.v., I catch myself doing that a lot like I'm 12 or something). Maybe vagal nerve????
Oh, and the quote you wrote about the left side and rubbing against the chest wall, my cardio just explained to me a few weeks ago, that your heart is not stationary in your chest. It will actually move somewhat. He said that this causes many people with palps to start acting up.
I have the same complaint. I am a 58 year old female.  My ekg's and ecg's are normal.  My atrial fibrillation only happens in the evening around 7 pm or so, after eating and sitting at rest in one certain chair.  Doctors pretty much ignore the fact of the position of my body or the time of day and the fact I am at rest.  They concentrate on what I consider the symptom - arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation - rather than the cause.  I am taking fecainide 50mg twice a day, because I really do understand I am at risk when the at's begin and continue for hours.  And it is pretty much working.  When I have a "spell", it feels as though my heart is trying to get back into rhythm, but just can't so it goes fast, stops, then flops around for awhile.  Resting doesn't seem to help, walking around will stop the fibrillation, but as soon as I sit again they start right back.  I feel like I am alone out here trying to figure out the cause of this thing.  I have been reading about thyroid and it's role in heart rhythm.  I have been reading about vagus nerve.  Other symptoms I have are a lump in my throat and an occasional dry cough.  I have had a CT scan and a endoscopy because I thought it was triggered by my digestive system, but the results have been normal.  I am glad to have found this forum to know there are others out there with the same triggers, and the same problem of doctors treating the symptom instead of the cause.
Linda, I have been having some similar issues with my heart. The lump in my throat and coughing and my heart trying to get back into rhythm. I know its bee a few years since you posted this but my cardiolgist and pulmonologist have no answers. It makes me feel uneasy about doing anything like exercise or even travel is a concern.
What ended up with your diagnosis and how have you been treated?
You are right, it has been quite awhile since my diagnosis, but I will give you a snapshot of my  experience.  I had a cryoablation in 2015 and have been doing very well ever since.  I was controlling it with medication from 2010 to 2015 - prescribed flecainide and/or metoprolol.  The main concern with this condition is stroke, although personally it felt like my heart would just stop.  Just my own fear, I guess.

I was diagnosed in 2010 by wearing a heart monitor for 30 days.  The Holter monitor did not pick it up because you only wear it for 24 hours.  My Afib was intermittent, not daily.  While wearing the 30 day monitor, I had an episode (probably about 10 or 15 days in) and recorded it.  I sent it to my doctor and he was able to diagnose the condition by reading the EKG.  I am sure they have even better equipment to use now because that was almost 10 years ago!  My son says there is a watch that performs a rudimentary EKG and has been able to identify cases of AFib.  I may have been a little sensitive when I would visit doctors trying to find out what this was because they could not replicate it and I felt they gave me the "side eye".  Like they didn't really believe it was happening or that I just wanted to spend my life in a doctors office.

So, a little less than 5 years of medication, then cryoablation in 2015 and now I am meds-free.  Meaning I do not have to take daily meds to control it.  I have had about 5 incidents of AF since my ablation, all short in duration. ( It is interesting that it presents as tachycardia instead of the arrhythmia I had before.)  Nonetheless, my cardiologist has me use the flecainide as a "pill-in-pocket" remedy and it works to get my heart back at a normal pace.  I'm fine with that.

I also was referred to an endocrinologist who oversaw my thyroid medication and got me back on track because thyroid affects heart rhythm, among everything else it does.  She told me to take brand name thyroid meds if possible because the range allowed is smaller than that for generic drugs and the thyroid can be very sensitive to fluctuations.

To me, it is important that you get this formally diagnosed and treated.  Meds will be first because from what I understand the ablation is not first line of treatment with this, for whatever reason.  I have my theories.  You want to avoid stroke and weakening of the heart as it moves through the episodes.  Also, this is a progressive condition.  That means it only gets worse, never better, with time.

I told my doctor that sitting up at night trying to "will" my heart into rhythm was not what I wanted to do with my time here on earth.  It didn't work, anyway.  But the fear and loneliness I felt during episodes is not, nor will it ever be, forgotten. I wish you good luck and push ahead to take care - don't give up.

Linda, you say that your EKGs have been normal, so who gave you the diagnosis of atrial fibrillation?  

Has any ENT doc looked into your throat to see what's going on there?

My issue was the time of day that it occurred.  All visits to cardiologist were during the day, while my episodes occurred in the early to late evening.  It was finally diagnosed by my wearing a portable EKG machine and sending the recorded results to my cardiologist.