Steel mesh stents seems to be the most recommended procedure for treatment of acquired PV Stenosis post op RF ablation however there is a high occurence of restonsis requireing dialation 3 to 6 months later and possibly again in another 3 to 6 months. Can you comment on other procedures that are available and their success?
Thank you, Ed W
I can tell you what we did when I was in Cleveland -- fortunately, PV stenosis isn't as common anymore.
We would do balloon dilation with out a stent. I agree that the stent carries a risk of restenosis and I don't think there is a study to suggest that is better than balloon dilation without stent. The biggest problem now is a paucity of randomized trial to answer the question directly. I would strongly recommend that if you are having this procedure, that it be done by a very experienced operator at a very experienced center.
Your question is a very good one, the answers are just not there yet. I just did a medline search and could not find literature to quote the recurrence rate of restenosis.
I am 35 years old, pretty fit and active, and had an ablation, actually 2, in 2002 at DUMC - Dr. Wharton for chronic AFib. I had this condition for 10 years and had failed all families of drugs to control - the last being a combination of Amiodarone and Flecainide.
The procedures were a success for the Afib, but let me with 2 stenosed PV's on the left side. The decision was made to stent and restenosis occured 3 times following requiring angioplasty. The main sympton was severe chest pain.
About 6 months ago I started feeling similar chest pain and my Dr's at Duke performed a CT angiogram and showed 100% stenosis in the upper PV and ~ 50% in the lower. Later that week these findings were confirmed with a cath to check pressures in my lungs. The PV's were not re-opened for fear of causing more stenosis of the lower PV. This was the 6th time the transseptal had been performed.
About 3 weeks ago I had an episode of A-fib and had to be cardioverted to resolve. It re-occured this week requiring another cardioversion and Flecainide to control.
My cardiologist and I have discussed the possibility of another ablation possibly cryo-ablation - Dr. Frazier at Pitt Memorial in Greenville NC.
My question is do you have any infomation on the long term prognisis of PV stenosis and the risk of further stenosis if I choose to have another ablation - cryo or RF.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.