Heart Rhythm Community

RF Ablation for "Constant PVC's

About 15 years ago I had the RF Ablation for my PVC's.  I was the first person my doctor had ever done the
procedure on for PVC's.  It worked and life has been great ever since.

I now have developed a similar situation but the location to be ablated is different.  Also, my irregular beats
although constant (no minute goes by without them) is different than before.  Instead of missing every other
beat (to palpate my pulse back then was to feel about 28-30 BPM) I now may miss every other beat, then
every 3rd beat and then every 4th beat and then repeat in different orders.  The irregularity of the beats seems
to have been the cause of a chronic cough that I have never had before.

I am 57 years old, do not smoke, drink, etc. and I do not drink coffee, tea, colas with caffeine.  I exercise almost
everyday and as far as I know I am healthy otherwise.  I had a long standing infection last year that took the doctors
almost a year to find (at the base of my tongue and behind my tonsils).  After my surgery to remove the tonsils and
drain the abcess, I have been feeling almost normal until these PVC's started.

I have 2 questions please:

*I very seldom see any mention of using the RF ablation for PVC's-is it not a common procedure for PVC's??

*I am searching for a cause of the return of my PVC's and wonder if the systemic bacterial infection I experienced
  last year could have caused the return??

Thank You for your time-

Blackbear 2008
I have had episodes of PVCs, PACs and SVT for much of my adult life and have not yet had an ablation, but I can tell you that these were all pretty tolerable until I developed an long term infection in my jaw bone from a cracked tooth. It took a year or more to diagnose and treat and during that time my arrhythmia symptoms grew much worse than I had ever experienced before.

While I have never seen any specific data suggesting a link between PVCs and systemic infection, I have read plenty of studies showing that infections in the valves, heart muscle and pericardial sac are potentially related to arrhythmias and I am convinced my symptoms were significantly worsened by my infection. The irony in my case was that I couldn't get anyone to do the oral surgery where I live because they were concerned about sedation setting off my tachycardia! I eventually flew to a large city and found someone willing to do it using just a local anesthetic.

Since I had the tooth extracted and the infection seems to have cleared up, I have felt so much better and I seem to be having far fewer arrhythmia symptoms. However, my latest echo showed a leaking tricuspid valve (which I did not have before the infection) and of course I am wondering if the prolonged infection could have caused that. There is some evidence that suggests leaking valves, in particular the mitral valve, may play a role in some arrhythmias. I am going to the Mayo Clinic soon for evaluation and possible ablation and plan to ask plenty of questions, so perhaps I will obtain further information.

I do know of several cases where RF ablation has been done for PVCs and there are people on this board who have had it done, so perhaps they will be able to give you more information.

Best wishes and good luck!