Rapid heart rate

Over the past few months, I have noticed that I have developed a very rapid heart beat.  In addition to feeling short of breath, at least 2 to 3 times a minute, I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach-comparable to the feeling you get when you drop suddenly or are on the way down on a roller coaster.  Should I be alarmed?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Does the increase in heart rate happen with standing?  Does it happen with stress?

Besides getting your heart function checked out, particularly if you have pain in your chest with your other listed symptoms, I recommend getting your FSH & estrogen checked- I get those sinking feelings myself when I'm about to have a hot flash.  Do you feel hot after the sinking feeling?  You may have a hormonal imbalance.  

If you've noticed a recent weight loss along with the development of your rapid heart beat, ask for your thyroid to be checked to rule out hyperthyroidism.  

And all menstruating females should get their ferritin (iron stores) checked regularly, which my doctor tells me is the best indicator for iron in the body.  If your iron is low, it can cause rapid heartbeat and consequently, shortness of breath.  And it is very common for iron to be low.  Your complete blood count can be normal and you can still have low iron, which can still cause symptoms- it's happened to me before.

The next time you feel the increase in heart rate, you may want to take your blood pressure & see what that is.  If you don't have a blood pressure monitor, you can get an Omron (considered a respected brand) model of one from a store.  
Helpful - 0
I would definitely have it checked out - go to a cardiologist and they can have you wear a halter monitor or an event recorder at home so they can see the symptoms as they happen to you...also keep track of what is going on at the time of the symptoms - could be made worse by stress/anxiety...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Rhythm Community