Heart Rhythm Community

Reducing Metoprolol

Has anyone tried to get off of Metoprolol?  I am reducing it per doctors orders and have lots of dizziness.
I stopped it prior to my cardiac ablation in 2010.  I did not experience any side effects.  I was told to just stop it, but I chose to ramp down the doseage.  My electrophysiologist said it was fine to just cease taking it.
Question for you if you're still monitoring this thread:

How large of a dose had you been taking?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I  have the same experience with Toprol and Metoprolol.  I have gone from Toprol SR to zero in one step, I had not noticeable side effect on or off the medication.  I was in NSR at the time, lapsed into AFib and was told to just stop the Toprol.  Later I have used the generic up to 200 mg a day, that made me dizzy-prone due to very low blood pressure.  While testing the dose level I went form 200 mg to 100 mg to 50 mg in single steps, not side effect from reducing the dose other than a higher heart rate and less dizziness.  I now thak 25 mg twice a day of normal release (less cost than SR).  

Sorry for the long answer, my basic input is:  yes I have stopped using metoprolol and didn't experience any side effects -- blood pressure and heart rate not being side effects, they are direct and intended effects.
Hi Tom and Jerry!!  (sounds familiar, eh?)

I was on 75 mg and now take 25.  I'm supposed to stay at 25 for a couple more weeks till I reduce again.  I am feeling dizzy when I move my head quickly or bend over.  Low blood pressure is not the problem.  I remember when I stopped taking prozac years ago, I felt similar for awhile.  I've been taking my blood pressure and it is normal.  I guess I am just sensitive.  I recently had an MRI of the brain because it was discovered that I had some mild hearing loss.  It was normal (no alien brain either - hehehe), so I know it's not neurological.  Debbie
Thanks for responding back, Debbie.  As you probably already know, 25mg. is an teeny-tiny dose. so you might be sensitive to the drug.  As I mentioned above, I ramped down my dose, going from 100 to 0 in about 7 days.  Hope you can find something that works for you.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Indeed, I think my body wouldn't even "know" I was taking at 25 mg level.

Maybe you can spit the pill and take 1/2 every 12 hours (approximately).  You may want to check with your doctor, me I'd just do it, but I have already told my tale of not having any serious side effects once I got below 100 mg a day.