Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

SOTALOL causing ED. need Help!!!

I have been on Sotalol 80mg twice a day for six years. I am experiencing some degree of ED. Could this have possibly started causing this after the sixth year. Has anyone experienced anything like this??
5 Responses
995271 tn?1463927859
Hi tom_h, Metoprolol is a cardio-selective beta-blocker, or in the the "selective" class of beta blockers.   It only blocks on cardiac receptors (beta-1), so the side effects are limited.

Propranolol and Sotalol are non-selective beta blockers so they block all adrenaline receptors, (beta-1 and beta-2), so a lot more side effects on things that depend on adrenaline.
995271 tn?1463927859
I can't speak first hand,but sotalol is a beta blocker.  It blocks the effects of adrenaline.  Adrenaline is critical to erections and achieving orgasm. ao yea, ED is an expected side effect.    
But whats baffling is that it has not really bothered me for 5 or so years. Why now all of a sudden. I am in perfect health in regards to testerone (849), cholesterol, triglycerides, exercise 6 days a week, and follow a great diet. I am 38 years old. Dont smoke or drink and never did.
995271 tn?1463927859
I'm amazed it never affected you before too.  I've taken another beta blocker  called propranolol for PVCs.  I'm otherwise perfect health too.   Even at a low dose, no go.    Shut me down.  Off it, no problems.   I only took it for a short while.  
1423357 tn?1511089042
I've taken the beta blocker Metoprolol for nearly 10 years at all sorts of strengths.  I've been at 75mg per day for 4 years now.  I'm 64, and no problems.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.