Heart Rhythm Community

SVT?

I have had PVCs and PACs for several years.  It's gotten to the point they really don't concern me any more.  

But about 2 years ago, I started getting episodes of tachycardia when I would get up and move around (especially when I first woke up in the a.m.).  I have been diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos syndrome.  My cardio has suggested that I likely also have POTS (very common occurance with EDS).  He said a tilt table test would diagnose it but there was really no point as they already had me on a beta blocker (Toprol XL) which is the treatment for POTS.

I also have these episodes where my heart feels out of rhythm.  It is definitely not skipping but beating rapidly and just oddly.  It has a very rapid onset and offset (maybe 10 seconds from start to finish).  These episodes have occured maybe 4-5 times this year.  During the episodes, I feel weak, breathless and like I might faint.  They terminate when I cough or bend forward.

I am wondering if this sounds like SVT.  I supposed I could ask for another holter or an event monitor to catch it but they happen so infrequently, I doubt I would ever get that lucky.

I quit taking the Toprol a few weeks ago because I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks while on it.  The Dr. does not think it caused it but opted to switch me to another more tried and true beta blocker for pregnancy in the event I get pg again (Labetalol).

Shouldn't the beta blocker be managing this arrythmia if it is in fact SVT?  I also had these episodes while taking Toprol.

I do not know much about beta blockers, I do know that for some, they are a true "God-send" and for others, they are useless, I would think it depends on the individual and how their body reacts.

You could very well be experiencing SVT, what you have written sounds like some of the articles I have read about them, and, it might not hurt to ask for another even monitor, maybe this time, it will catch one in the act. I would also do a search on this forum for SVT's, there, you will find lots of folks who have them, and maybe you can correlate your symptoms with theirs, although everyone is different, it still might be of some help.

That is all I know to say, wish I could be of more help.

Take care and God bless
Susie