Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Slow-Release Meds for Arrhythmia and Anxiety

I used to take a slow-release Propranolol 80 mg every day, which caused severe tiredness and extreme fatigue, to the point that I was not able to think straight and sometimes could not even get out of bed. Apparently, Propranolol also inhibits the ability for you to burn fat, not to mention gastrointestinal issues. Depression is also significantly higher when taking Propranolol. So, I switched to Metoprolol and started off at its lowest dose: 25 mg extended release, which is obviously not enough, though I feel great in terms of strength and alertness and stamina, that were all seriously diminished when I was taking Propranolol. So, now I am wondering: I definitely need to go up at least to 50 mg, but should I do a 50 mg Metoprolol once a day, or can I take the 25 mg tablets twice a day (every 12 hours). My question is basically this: Would it be OK if you took a sustained-release medicine (that is supposed to stay in your blood for 24 hours) twice a day? Would there be a cumulative effect that could be dangerous perhaps? I don't think any retard-release drug can actually maintain a good therapeutic level for 24 hours, so taking them every 12 hours seems to be alright, but I don't know the mechanism with which it releases gradually, thus wondering if taking Metoprolol 25 mg slow-release every 12 hours would be safe. I would love to hear your opinions and personal experiences if you were or are on this med. Thanks
1 Responses
Cant really say for those doses but I was kind of the opposite.

Metoprolol i was on 25mg extended release foe a month and it caused major increase of pvc runs and also caused incidences of Reynauds syndrome (soemthing ive never experienced in 30 years on this planet). It akso seemed to increase anxiety feelings and uneasiness.

Propranolol 20mg seems to work very well for me but it definitely doesn't fix thr problem altogether(nothing has from what I've tried).

My doctor just recommend a new med called nebivolol (bystolic) to me thst im pretty hesitant to try as propranolol does help Most out of what ive tried. The nebivolol bystolic didnt get the besr reviews from what ive seen. thats just my experiences and what things have worked and not worked for me on an individual basis.

I feel some of my pvcs are caused by anxiety,some by exercise or increase in working out and some by large meals. Other people actually have more at lower heart rates and exercise actually helps them where it has the opposite effect for me.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.