Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

Started Metoprolol

I've been dealing with PAC's/PVC close to five years now. They come and go in intensity but have lately been really active. I finally started to take Metoprolol 25mg 2x day. I haven't noticed any significant change in improvement other than maybe they don't feel as strong but they are still there. At what point do I discontinue the meds or is there some valuable benefit to a beta blocker as far as overall heart health. If it is just purely masking the PAC's then I would rather take something like an ativan or muscle relaxer if it's doing the same thing by relaxing me and taking my mind off of the constant skipped beats. PAC's/PVC's are truly a living nightmare.
2 Responses
1423357 tn?1511089042
I'd advise you to not stop the medication without first consulting with your physician.  Metoprolol is often the first line of medication offered for PAC's, PVC's, SVT, etc.  I found it totally ineffective with any of these problems.  It did however lower my BP, slow my cardiac rate, and made SVT episodes easier to convert.  Also, the dose you are taking is small, so there is room to adjust.  I "zombied out" at 200mg./day  It felt like a cinder block was on my chest if I tried to do anything.  I was fine at 100mg/day, and continue today at 75mg/day following my ablation.
Metoprolol, a beta blocker, us used primarily to help reduce high blood pressure.  It also slows your pulse rate.  The heart has to work less hard and that is probably why we feel the pacs pvcs less.  I do not think it is designed to stop them.  I would not stop taking them without first talking to your doc.

Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.