Heart Rhythm Community

Tell Me About Your PVCs

I have some questions to see how others measure up.  Just thought it might be an interesting thread for people to understand each other a bit.

1. How long have you had PVCs?

2. On average, how many per day?

3. Do you have episodes where you have absolutely no PVCs at all?

4. What is your list of food/beverage triggers?

5. What is your list of non-edible triggers?

6. Do you have GERD, and if so, do you think it aggravates your PVCs?

7. Do you have or have you ever had any structural heart problems or heart disease?

8. For women, do your PVCs increase with shifts in hormones?  How did pregnancy affect your PVCs?

9. Do your PVCs disappear with exercise, become worse with exercise or are they about the same no matter what you're doing?

10.  Have you ever exeprienced bigeminy, trigeminy, couplets, triplets, NSVT or VT?

11.  Do you have a pacemaker or ICD?

12.  Do you (or have you ever) taken medication to help control your PVCs?  If so, did it help, make them worse or cause no change?

13. Do you have a non-cardiac condition that causes or irritates your PVCs (thyroid, hormone problems)?

14. What have you found that HELPS your PVCs (symptoms/anxiety)?  This can be meditation, vitamin supplements, anxiety medication, exercise - anything that helps you deal.

I'll answer below too.  I think it will be interesting to see how people respond.

Well you have lots of questions but I can try to answer the best I can,
I have had PVC's and PVC's for 37 years minus 6 of those due to RFA. They now have returned but not the SVT's (Thank God)
2. After 6 years of being free of them I have about 10,000 a day. WOW!!!
3. Yes, I don't talk about it when I do because when I think they are gone I get a big case of them. Mind over matter.
4.Sugar, Caffeine, Large meals are my big ones.
5.Lying on my left side, sitting after eating, bending over too fast.
6.Very Bad, I can't tell if it does or not since I have them so often.
7.I was born with a heart defect. I had 2 A-nodes instead of one. I had 5 flaps of skin grown over my electrial path and I had it ablated and am looking at another ablation soon.
8. Not really. Pregnancy was not good on me, but when I was having my babies I did not have one PVC or PAC.
9.Actually exercise makes mine stop.. well I say stop it could be that I am not sitting waiting for the next one.
10.Many times. Everyday for the last 4 months especially.
11.NO
12.Yes. Atenelol and now Metropolol. I can't tell much diference. I also take Xanax with it. The Atenelol helped for years but stopped and it slowed my heart rate down very slow. The Metropolol is not working I don't think as good as the other.
13.NO
14.Ihave found nothing and if you haveany suggestions please HELP!! I have cut out things that I know that triggers it but nothing ever makes them stop.

I am so tired of these things that I would love to have a normal body. I hate them. They scare me after all these years and I am aware of everyone of my heratbeats. It stinks. I want to be free forever from them. I wish there was a cure I would do whatever it takes to stop them.
Hope I have answered some of yoru questions.
Karen
1. How long have you had PVCs?  about 15 years

2. On average, how many per day? at least 100's! I also have PACs and palpitations.

3. Do you have episodes where you have absolutely no PVCs at all? I don't know if I don't have any at all, but there are times when I don't feel them.

4. What is your list of food/beverage triggers? I haven't figured out a trigger yet.  I don't drink caffeine or eat chocolate and never drink alcohol.

5. What is your list of non-edible triggers? stress, lack of sleep - but I get them regardless of what I do, it seems.

6. Do you have GERD, and if so, do you think it aggravates your PVCs? Yes, I have GERD, but I don't think it aggravates my PVCs.

7. Do you have or have you ever had any structural heart problems or heart disease? I currently have a blocked coronary artery which has created collaterol vessels on it's own.  But, I've had PVC and PACs longer than I've had the blocked artery.

8. For women, do your PVCs increase with shifts in hormones?  How did pregnancy affect your PVCs? Mine were always worse the week before my period, and got really bad when i was going throgh the beginning stages of menopause.

9. Do your PVCs disappear with exercise, become worse with exercise or are they about the same no matter what you're doing? They seem to get worse when I first start excersing, but if I keep on a routine, sometimes they get a little better.

10.  Have you ever exeprienced bigeminy, trigeminy, couplets, triplets, NSVT or VT? Yes - and a recent event monitor showed a run of 8 that may have been atrial fibrillation.

11.  Do you have a pacemaker or ICD? no

12.  Do you (or have you ever) taken medication to help control your PVCs?  If so, did it help, make them worse or cause no change?  I used to take atenolol and now am on 50mg of Toprol XL.

13. Do you have a non-cardiac condition that causes or irritates your PVCs (thyroid, hormone problems)? no

14. What have you found that HELPS your PVCs (symptoms/anxiety)?  This can be meditation, vitamin supplements, anxiety medication, exercise - anything that helps you deal.  Sometimes a xanax will help - I don't know if it lessens the number of PVCs, but it helps me worry about them less.

1. At least 30 years (wish I could say I'm only 31.....lol)

2. A handful post ablation, some isolated, bigeminy, nsvt, but with no frequency; pre ablation was having at least 20,000/day

3. Yes, I do now!

4. Caffeinated sodas were definite triggers for me.  No Pepsi, Coke or Dr. Pepper : (
    MSG and anytime I had a gastro flare up from spicy, oniony, oriental, greasy foods.

5. Sleep deprivation and anxiety were big triggers for PVC's.  Other times, nothing at all would precede major "storms" of PVC's.

6. No

7. I have valve disease (MR), but no know CAD

8. When I was having a lot of PVC's, hormonal fluctuations were catalysts.  I know they were active during pregnancies because my GYN is the one who kept insisting I see a cardio.

9. My PVC's used to improve with exercise, but as soon as I was back to a normal resting pulse, they were back..

10.  Lots of periods of chronic bigeminy, trigeminy.  Thousands of couplets; frequent bouts of NSVT.

11. No pacemaker or ICD?

12. I have taken Inderal, flecainide and rhythmol.  The Inderal worked for many years, and still does for flareups.  The SCB's helped a lot, but I didn't like the side effects.

13. Hormonal fluctuations used to aggravate the PVC's

14. What helped me most was FINALLY believing that they were benign.  This forum has been a HUGE help to me.  Just knowing that other people were dealing with the same issues was like "medicine."  I'm still careful what I eat (asian food is a gamble, but I love it; fast food only on occasion; better sleep habits).  Reading and relaxing had no effect on the PVC's when they were frequent.  I find great comfort in being able to use a BB as needed.  It is like insurance in my pocket, but not something I have to rely on daily.

Great idea anacyde!!
1) I've had PVC's since my 2 ablations for IST in 2003--so for almost 5 years.
2) I only get 15-20 per day unless something triggers my bigeminy, then I get lots more.
3) No
4) Alcohol, too much sugar, coffee
5) Bending over, squatting, laughing hard, cold air, getting angry or overly upset will give me bigeminy for several minutes.
6) yes and yes.
7) No
8) Yes. I developed IST as a result of pregnancy
9) Worse with exercise until I get my HR high enough that it outpaces the PVC's.
10) Bigeminy, couplets
11) No
12) Toprol XL. I feel them less strongly.
13) GERD
14) A daily vitamin, Gatorade, lots of prayer!
1. How long have you had PVCs?
I've had the atrial ectopy since I was a child, and the PVCs came on the scene around age 17.

2. On average, how many per day?
Anywhere from zero to 200.

For years at a time they vanish, but when the come, wow, they are relentless.

Caffeine triggers both PAC/PVCs.

Sitting hunched forward, laying on my left side too quickly after getting in bed, rapid changes in position (also true for PACs).

Yes, and yes.  When I have particularly severe GERD flare-ups, I notice far more ectopics.  I suspect the vagus nerve is a roleplayer here.

I had an enlarged heart following (and due to) my second pregnancy, though amazingly I had no PVCs during that.  Had plenty of unrelated PACs though.

Pregnancy caused my PACs and PVCs to flare up in the early weeks, around 12 weeks, again around 26-28 weeks and once more following delivery.  PVCs tend to occur with periods, PACs tend to occur mid-cycle.  There are no hard and fast rules on this, however.

It depends on what kind of mood they're in lol

I have no proof as of yet, but I suspect ventricular couplets.  I know I have atrial couplets and supraventricular tachycardia.

11.  Do you have a pacemaker or ICD?
No.

No.

They keep testing my thyroid, but it keeps coming back totally normal, so no.

I love my tibetan singing bowl, it's so awesome.  Regular exercise and just staying active as to be focused on other things.  Yoga is pretty awesome, though I wish I had more time for it.  And this forum!  
Great idea!!!

1. How long have you had PVCs?  about 18 years

2. On average, how many per day? Some days I may just have a few. Other days--has to be hundreds.

3. Do you have episodes where you have absolutely no PVCs at all? Yes...but..Im fooled too, because I will think Im having a good day--and will ( out of habit--) take my pulse..and I will feel the skips and jumps--even when I cant feel them myself.

4. What is your list of food/beverage triggers? Well, I have cut out EVERY drop of caffeine- but once in a while, I will gamble and eat some chocolate..I love it sooo much...but very rarely have any..thats a big trigger for me. Anything spicy..with MSG as well.

5. What is your list of non-edible triggers? For me, a BIG trigger is just simply EATING! I can be having zero palps...and I will eat a regular meal, and within moments after eating...they are suddenly there...fast and furious. Its horrible. Also fear--and my ever present General Anxiety.

6. Do you have GERD, and if so, do you think it aggravates your PVCs? Ive never been formally diagnosed with GERD....but I do have heartburn on occasion...I think it does aggravate PVCS, but I do not know why.

7. Do you have or have you ever had any structural heart problems or heart disease? After much testing, absolutly no heart disease at this moment.

8. For women, do your PVCs increase with shifts in hormones?  How did pregnancy affect your PVCs?   I can tell when Im PMS-my palps will increase. I did not have ANY palpitations during 3 pregnancys...but the first time i had them, was in the hospital after the birth of my last child, 18 years ago. I actually experienced my first panic attack that same night--I didnt know WHAT was going on with me that night, but it was the start of everything!

9. Do your PVCs disappear with exercise, become worse with exercise or are they about the same no matter what you're doing? They do disappear--briefly. For example--I take the stairs DOWN, every night at work. Thats 72 steps. During the trip down, no palps. The walk to the car. No palps. I get in the car, heart pounding a bit, but regular rhythm....but as it slows....they come back stronger than ever...jumping all over.

10.  Have you ever exeprienced bigeminy, trigeminy, couplets, triplets, NSVT or VT? I do not know what some of those terms mean---but I know I have bigeminy and trigeminy...and probably couplets too....just not sure....

11.  Do you have a pacemaker or ICD? Nope

Yes. Im on 100mg Atenolol, for years now. I still have tons of palps...but I just think of how many I would have if I WASNT on the Atenolol. I have major anxiety issues ...so I am on Xanax---like someone else here said, Xanax doesnt lessen the palps...but it lessens my terror when Im having them.

13. Do you have a non-cardiac condition that causes or irritates your PVCs (thyroid, hormone problems)? Not sure....dont think so.

14. What have you found that HELPS your PVCs (symptoms/anxiety)?  This can be meditation, vitamin supplements, anxiety medication, exercise - anything that helps you deal.  Well, coming here makes me feel alot better...doesnt lessen the palps, but relaxs me a bit. This, and the Xanax. I pray nightly that my palpitations will go away. They do affect my quality of life....I get so Tired of worrying about them.