Heart Rhythm Community

Toprol xl 25 mg question

I recently started taking Toprol xl 25 mg because my resting heart rate will sometimes be a little above 100. The cardiologist i went to told me to take it only when i have an episode of a fast heart rate which only happens like every other day or so. After reading information on the drug through i feel like all the websites say to take it every day. Is it still safe to take it every few days or so?
We aren't doctors of course.  That said my cardiologist said that Metoprolol doesn't work like that.  You need to build up the dosage in your body for it to function properly. You're taking the time release version of Metoprolol, so the results of a dose are drawn out more so the the standard Metoprolol.
I took Toprol xl for a time - 25 mg.  I could not take a pill all at once, because my bp would drop too low.  The nurse finally told me to break the pill in half and take half in the morning and half at night.  That worked a little better.  I ended up eventually on Atenolol which I have taken for 6 years.  I take it in divided doses, as my bp or hr goes up or down.  If my hr and bp are too low, I delay a dose.  But I never just skip it.  So I might take between 1-1/2 tablets over the day, sometimes 2 pills.  I don't think you're supposed to just stop it.
I have taken 50 mgs of toprol XL for 12-13 years.  It is a very safe and a  good medication in my opinion.  The XL means that it has an Extended Life .. in other words one pill is supposed work for at least 24 hours i think... but anyway... I dont know why the doc would say just use it when your rate is fast.. if you took one a day ....your heart rate should stay pretty regular Id think.. but Im not a doctor... I dont really know about taking it occassionally... doesnt make alot of sense to me.. sorry im not much help..Claytex
Claytex you are right about the 24 hour deal but sometimes it is necessary to take it more often like in my case I take 125mg twice a day. I am no cardiologist but I have been taking toprol xl for the last 7 years and it seems that the only side effect is being tired but it could be the heart failure making me tired :)
Toprol XL is designed to release over a 24 hour time period...so instead of taking immediate release metoprolol twice a day one can take the same dosage once/day.  Literature states one to two weeks of continuous treatment before results can be expected.   I've been on it for over a year (150mg/day, divided dose)) with no apparent side effects...I've experimented with the dosage, from 100mg to 200 mg/day, once/day and divided dose twice/day) to get me to a comfortable heart rate of 60-70 bpm at rest.
I have severe anxiety and my heart rate fluctuates. After wearing a halter monitor  for 24hours and now knowing my heart rate rises to 140 in my sleep and when sitting and also I had an echocardiogram and it came back normal which is good so I know my heart is ok and this is due to  my anxiety . I was given Toprol XL 25 mg to take but I am afraid to take it. I know its my anxiety talking but is it safe to take when it is for anxiety and to steady my heart rate?Also how does it make you feel?