Heart Rhythm Community

Why do I need to see a electrophysiologist?

I went to see my regular doc., he had got back all the result's taken at Mayo Clinic in Rochester,mn.I was told i had over 12000 pvc's when i wore the holter monitor for a total of 22hrs. and i needed to see a specialist for the electrical part of the heart. What will the doctor do, and is it a good idea to see him? thanks. hansonkay  July29th.
i was referred to an electrocardiologist by my doctor, and it was for an ablation consultation. from what i can tell, EP's look at the symptoms in a different light than a general cardiologist...they focus in more on the electrical activity between the brain and heart, and between the heart and other parts of the heart (hope that makes sense). they also look at optional treatments such as ablations. it can't hurt to go through with the consultation in my opinion.
thank's for the reply. It make's alot of sense,I guess i just don't want to accept, you know what i mean this lets me know their is something wrong with my heart. I do'nt want to accept the news and i'm not sure why i'm guessing just plain darn afraid to hear what the specialist has to tell me. We'll i guess i have to be a big girl now and just not think about the outcome untill i see the doc. and get the whole picture.
Thank's a bunch it does help to talk you're problems over with someone. hansonkay.
There are two types of cardiologists:  plumbers and electricians.  Plumbers take care of blocked arteries, problems with the heart muscle itself, that kind of thing.  Electricians or EPs (electrophysiologists) take care of problems with the electrical conduction in your heart--what makes your heart beat.

If you have an arrythimia, you need to see someone who specializes in arrythmias.  That's an EP.

It's frightening to contemplate problems with your heart, because it's so important to your general well-being.  But if it's of any help, there are millions of people living full, long lives with various arrythmias.  It's a matter of finding the right medications or procedures to alleviate the symptoms and maintain good heart rhythm.  An ablation might be the perfect thing for you, or the doctor might want to start you on meds first.  

Going for the consultation is a good thing.  You're in for more tests.  More monitors, more EKGs, maybe a blood test here and there.  Maybe a stress test--maybe even an echocardiogram.  None of these tests are scarey or invasive.  But that's what the doctor will do.
PERFECT ANALOGY!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!
I know 12,000 seems like a lot of pvc's, but remember your heart beats 100,00 times a day. On the expert forum, one of the doctor's responded that he was currently seeing patients, with 45,000 pvcs, 32,000 pvc's etc.

I would think the appointment will be to covers all the angles and see what the best treatment is for your particular case - not necessarily ablation. I have read several times that in many cases ablation and/or medicines are to give the patient relief from the unpleasant symptoms of pacs/pvcs - they are not necessarily because they are doing you any harm.

Keep your appointment and get to the botton of what the problem is - the answer may the same as many of us are given, which is simply 'live with it' (easier said than done, though...)..
why wouldnt you see him?
he will consult with you and discuss the best options - you will not have to do anythign you are not comfortable with.
good luck!