Heart Rhythm Community

anyone using metoprolol for tachycardia ---please help

My doctor as put me on 25 mg metoprolol extened release daily for palpitations. I am reading on the web about weight gain and hair loss. Does hanyone has any experience with this medicine--good or bad? I am 38 years old otherwise healthy, active person and I eat right but  am little nervous about starting the medicine as i have heard once you go on it, you have to take it forever.
Someone please advise---share your experience with the medicine.
Thank you.
hi i was on metatoprol er 50 mg 2 x a day and i was taken off just resently my cardio told me you can go off them at anytime under my supervisiion that he slowly took me off mine but everybodys situation is different though and iwas takeing them for tach aswell butthey didnt like me lol hope it helps    
Hi there!  I'm a 44 year old woman, I've been taking Metroprolol 25 mg for about half a year now, I LOVE IT.  It seems to keep everything calm, and the palps are much fewer.  I don't think the drug alone keeps the palps calm for me, I also need to eat right and get the proper amount of sleep - which in my case means almost exactly 7 hours (sleeping longer guaranteees palps, as does relaxing all day instead of moving around, go figure).  Anyways, I haven't had significant weight gain, tho I have had a little, because the metroproplol slows my metabolism down I think.  (I had my most significant weight gain 9 years ago when I quit smoking!)  My hair is just the same as always - and I haven't had any side effects whatsoever apart from the calming down of the palps which in turn really calms me down.  Hope this helps!
I have been taking this for over 6 months now. I did gain some weight but I also was not doing too much before and after my ablation. (For VT)  No hair loss.  It took awhile for my body to get used to this med. but now I feel fine and the weight is coming off with me walking for 30 minuets a day.

Good luck and if you need it what is a couple of pounds. I gained about 5.   Hope you feel better!
Taking metoprolol 50 mg twice a day for almost three months - don't feel much different being on the drug except that my pulse is much lower - in the forties now.  I did gain maybe three or four pounds but then again was not as active as previously.  No hair loss!  I think it is an excellent drug - much better than having VT, although I have had more palpitations since starting it but that is probably nothing to do with the metoprolol.  I would not be worried to take it.
I agree.  It does slow you down metabolically some, but it's really not too disastrous of a price to pay for being slowed down from tachydysrhythmias.  It is a fairly safe drug and usually well tolerated.  All the beta blockers have that side effect.  Sitting around not being able to move is certainly not without it problems either.  I think you will find it a reasonable solution.  Good luck.
I have been on metoprolol for a couple of weeks now. I was put on it for tach aswel. My heart rate will just spike up to 160 out of no where. I havent experienced wait gain or any hair loss so far. But it keeps my hr around 22-55. And I feel really tired since I've been taking it. I have had several episodes of tachycardia since I started taking though. And my blood pressure stays really low. I feel tired, kind of week, and sometimes it's like I'm in a daze. To sum it all up the medacine makes me feel yucky but it has helped sum w/ my tach. Problem. I also have a sinus arrythmia too which may be playing a factor in it aswell I don't know.