Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

atrial fibrilation

I have periodic atrial fib which I have had for the last 30 of my 70 years.  Five years ago I had a heart attack.  The periods of atrial fib were unchanged by the heart attack.  Some events last two or three minutes and some events last 10 to 20 hours.  I take metoprolo (50mg) and enapril (5mg) since the heart attack, plus Lipitor and aspirin.  I'm concerned my heart rate, which has always been slow (I was a Marathon runner), is now too slow.  As I fall asleep, at night or for a nap, it drops to 49.  Most likely it is lower as I sleep.  It seems as my heart rate slows I have more occasions of atrial fib.  I have discovered if I jump up, run up stairs, etc the atrial fib converts back to normal rythym.  My question is am I taking too much drugs now that these events are occurring more often?
1 Responses
612551 tn?1450025775
COMMUNITY LEADER
It seems to me you do not need the Metoprolol (I take 100+ mg a day for rate control caused by my full-time AFib).  Keep in mind I am not giving medical advice, i.e., I am not a medical doctor and I have only the information provided in your brief post.  That said, if the Metoprolol is specifically to help heal/treat you heart attack, then by all means keep it up and I don't think a resting HR of 49 is problematic, given your history, but I don't know what it was before the heart attack.  Aspirin is a good idea given the bouts of AFib, which increase the chance of clot formation.  You have another clot factor, age.  So I am a bit surprised you doctor hasn't put you on an anticoagulant (warfarin/coumadin)...but great if you can avoid that medication as it adds is own complications and risks.
Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.