Heart Rhythm Community

atrial fibrilation

I have periodic atrial fib which I have had for the last 30 of my 70 years.  Five years ago I had a heart attack.  The periods of atrial fib were unchanged by the heart attack.  Some events last two or three minutes and some events last 10 to 20 hours.  I take metoprolo (50mg) and enapril (5mg) since the heart attack, plus Lipitor and aspirin.  I'm concerned my heart rate, which has always been slow (I was a Marathon runner), is now too slow.  As I fall asleep, at night or for a nap, it drops to 49.  Most likely it is lower as I sleep.  It seems as my heart rate slows I have more occasions of atrial fib.  I have discovered if I jump up, run up stairs, etc the atrial fib converts back to normal rythym.  My question is am I taking too much drugs now that these events are occurring more often?
COMMUNITY LEADER
It seems to me you do not need the Metoprolol (I take 100+ mg a day for rate control caused by my full-time AFib).  Keep in mind I am not giving medical advice, i.e., I am not a medical doctor and I have only the information provided in your brief post.  That said, if the Metoprolol is specifically to help heal/treat you heart attack, then by all means keep it up and I don't think a resting HR of 49 is problematic, given your history, but I don't know what it was before the heart attack.  Aspirin is a good idea given the bouts of AFib, which increase the chance of clot formation.  You have another clot factor, age.  So I am a bit surprised you doctor hasn't put you on an anticoagulant (warfarin/coumadin)...but great if you can avoid that medication as it adds is own complications and risks.