Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

chest pain

i'm concerned about a chronic chest pain that feels like stabbing in the middel of my upper left chest above the left breast plate almost near my collar bone. the pain comes and goes i don't have any other symptoms other that a constant clearing of my throat. i've seen a doctor who believes that i may have a bronchitis infection so i'm taking medication for that. my blood pressure was 130/80 which is not bad, but i just don't understand why the pain won't go away.  
1 Responses
230125 tn?1193369457
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If you go to a cardiologist for chest pain, they will rule out cardiac causes.  This usually involves an EKG, stress test and echocardiogram, sometimes a heart cath.  This is done to stratify your risk of cardiovascular events -- heart attack, stroke, sudden death.  For the symptoms you describe, the risk based on history is pretty low.  Cardiac or heart related chest pain is rarely described as "sharp" or "stabbing" and is usually worsened by activity, improved with rest.

Other causes of chest pain are often difficult to give an exact cause to.  I know this is frustrating, but there is often not a great answer.  The one thing that always comes up is anxiety and I find that a lot of people admit this is a real possibility when it brought up.  It could also come from lungs or pleural sources (lining around heart and/or lungs).  

I hope this helps, thanks for posting.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.