A
A
A
Close
Heart Rhythm Community
12.1k Members

first degree heart block and excercise

Hello,
About 3 years ago I experienced a lot of heart palpitations, and it was hard to breathe so I went to the hospital. They gave me an EKG and when I went to a cardiologist he said I had a first degree AV block.
Since then I have cut out most stimulants and have not really exercised. I have rarely had a recurrence of any heart palpitations, like twice in 3 years, and I know they are attributable to caffeine, I keep forgetting green tea has caffeine...
I would like to start running. I was planning on starting out running/walking like run for a minute then walk for two. I don't know if I should be worried about this heart block, or if I should watch my heart rate, or just not exercise....
I would just really love some help on figuring out what I can do.
1 Responses
I have had first degree AV block for decades, since the first time anyone did an EKG on me in college.  What it means--in most cases--is that the time interval in the first part of the heartbeat sequence is just a tad longer than normal, but--and this is important--every single electrical impulse gets through.  There are no missed beats due to first degree block.  So it is almost always considered a benign condition, unless the heart block itself has been caused by heart attack or other disease (which is unlikely if you are young, as I suspect you are).

Before this diagnosis, I was a gym rat, and I have remained a gym rat.  I go to the gym five or six days a week and I work out hard.  I also have periodic episodes of PVCs, sometimes lasting for months, and I still work out on the same schedule.  When the PVC attacks arrive, they make me nervous in the extreme, but I have found ways to deal with that kind of fear, and I continue exercising vigorously.

I'd recommend you go back to your doc or some doc and ask for 'permission' to run or work out.  My guess is that after a checkup, you will be given clearance and told to live your life to the fullest, without letting fear get the best of you.

Have an Answer?
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.