Heart Rhythm Community

heart palpitations and the menstrual cycle

hello im 27 yrs old and suffer from heart palpitations, i wondered if these can be linked to the menstrul cycle
as i tend to get them mostly around this time and only occasionally inbetween its quite scary as i have to breath deep to get my breath, i have not been to my local gp about this yet as im afraid of what he will say.

This discussion is related to Heart Palpitations.
Yes they are directly related.  I remember when I went to my new doctor at the University of Pennsylvania.  We were talking and I said to her I don't want you to think I'm crazy but I feel like the pvc's are worse around my period.  She smiled and looked at the nurse in the room and said actually no I don't think your crazy and I (she) just had a big seminar about it with the doctors around town.  She said it is directly related to the hormones in a womens cycle.  That's not to say it can't happen at other times of the month.  There are "triggers as she said.  Caffein, alcohol and so forth.  I felt better.  I take medicine for it and sometime right before my cycle starts I have to take more because it can get so bad.  Most of the time they are harmless but I would still go and just get it checked out.  Good luck.
What medicine do you take for it??  I have this problem and am having a LOT of trouble finding any real information on how to make it less intense
thankyou very much for that tia, as no matter where i looked for infomation about palpitation nothing mentioned it been linked to the cycle, i feel so much better for reading this i have an appointment with my doctors this week to have a check up,

thanks again xx
I absolutely believe they are related.  When I first started having them, or noticing them I was finishing up my cycle and that was over 2 years ago.  Now I noitce them a week before, during and a week after.  It's so crazy because it's like I have 1 normal week and that week isn't that normal at all-lol.  

I have a cardiologist and he said lots of women complaint that their palps are worse during that time of the month.  It would be great if there was a study done regarding that.

thankyou for that, mine are usually 4/5 days before my cycle is due and sometimes during my cycle too, thats it then till my cycle is due again, its quite a scary sensation, id like it to been looked into too as like i sed before i found nothin online to tell me they were linked, x
I am 29 and started experiencing them around 28 and its only gotten worse but just before my cycle and during and sometimes one week after I am so glad to know I am not just trippin because I really thought maybe it could be related to my period but just wasn't sure....thanks for clearing this up...I also wonder is this because I am almost 30 because I have never felt like this before on my cycle but just within the last year and a half my cycle has just gotten worse
I am so happy that I'm not the only one going trough this!! I thought I had some disorders and never went to the docs cuz I was too scared!! A week before my period or when I have my period or a week after after I get some random heart palpitations , slight loose of mind and tend to vomit plus I get anxious and scared which makes things worse. I am only 18 and this has been happening for tr past 4 months
mine are ALWAYS  worse the week before,,,always
I'm the SAME way! I'm 35, though.....a few months ago I had a panic attack...from the palpitations I freaked out and could hardly breathe, chest all tight.....hands felt numb like they were asleep lots of anxiety...now I notice it's really bad right before I'm supposed to start...and then during my period...and then just when I think I'm back to normal...it's that time of the month again and it starts all over again....glad to know I'm not alone. :)
Yep. Same here. I can sometimes be palp free all month until about a week before my period. I always try to schedule any testing around that time. I am 38 and I fear this will only get worse with menopause/peri-menopause. I am DREADING it...
Hello I'm 39 and felt the same way while on my period ... It scared me so bad I went to the hospital ...and they ran blood work and X-ray and ekg test on me said everything looks okay but do a check up with my family doctor ..... So I'm going to make a appointment today  ..... I have been off my period for 2 days now have not felt it  so I was wondering if it is linked to my period ....... And age I have been trying to take it easy around the house  til I find out for sure what's going on I have never posted on anything like this but I do read them a lot to help with info ........ Thanks
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9160219
OMG You guys just don't know what a relief it is to know I'm not the only one having to deal with this worry..I ALWAYS get palpitations a week before my period during and after. I'm only 24 and I did do check ups but the DR said its not serious. Why did we have to be part of the unlucky! But anyway its comforting to know that I'm not alone!!!
my pvcs started around 29. i was mortified. i went from being a care free, happy person to a very anxious, scared person. i am not myself. i get pvcs all the time, at times they go away for weeks but come back. they are worse around my period. i've found there are so many suffering with this. there should be more research, answers, remedies..if you want to chat or if your having a bad pvc day..email me, ***@****