Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

irregular pulse when lying on my side

Hi there. I wonder whether anyone here can tell me what is wrong with my heart rhythm when I am lying on my side and as I inhale? I also get irregular heart beats on other occasions, but it seems to be worse when lying down. Many thanks.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
351404 tn?1299489130
That is so interesting as I have always maintained that night time brings on the arrhythmias and lying on my right side is a sure bet for it, especially if I bring my arm over my body too.  The doctors listen without comment but I have given up lying on what used to be my favourite sleeping side.   As to what the cause is, Jerry might well be correct that it causes more displacement but that it happens to others makes me feel it is not imaginary.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for responding to my question. The answer to your question is that it only happens when I am lying on my right side and then heart rate goes haywire with missed beats and heaviness in my chest. I have been recently diagnosed with Graves disease 9 2 yrs ago) but my thyroid levels appear to be within normal limits. I tend to blame many things on the Graves but this problem seems quite bizzare.
Helpful - 0
612551 tn?1450022175
COMMUNITY LEADER
Does the irregularity happen on both sides or just one side?   I think I have read on the community about some people have rhythm irregularity when of one side, but not the other or on their back/stomach.  I think lying on the right side puts more physical displacement on the (left side) heart.. but I'm not sure that is true.  My memory doesn't retain all the good information I have read here.  Perhaps this response will get you more helpful inputs.

As for inhale, it is normal, I am told to the HR to speed up on inhale (I can't hear it in mine) in normal and is the body taking advantage of the fresh oxygen in the lungs.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Rhythm Community

Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318743597
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511085442
Central, MA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.