Heart Rhythm Community

risks and exercise

My son now 16+ has had 8 episodes of svt dating back april 2007 with the most recent being 2 weeks ago and before that april 2010,with the most being 3 in 2009 .he was looked at by a professional after the 2nd of 2009 and the third .My son is a very good athlete playing sports about 4 hrs a day everyday since he was about 3 yrs old.He has had 5 episodes on the sports field and 3 off and 2 were at the beginning of games,which brings me to the question of being slightly nervous.could this happen from nerves.This time it happened at a school function and of course the trainers called and now the school wants clearence.
After the DRs. visit and there recomendation of a possible ablation that we were pusuing,my insurance fell through.At the time of the visit my son was not put on medicine (asthma).Now the Dr does not want to release until he is on verapimil and pursues the ablation.I have some questions.Is this Medicine really needed and how will it effect his activity level.?What is the time frame for him to get back to playing contact sports ,soccer ,basketball.?Will he need this medicine after the procedure?Why now will he not be able to play when he has had less episodes the past year than in 2009.?Insurance?What are if any things that are harmful to him playing without the medicine until we get possible ablation.?Would it be better to wait until he is out of college before procedure or is something like this better sooner than later.?I have read many stories of multiple ablations how often does this really happen and whatare the odds of him not playing after the procedure.?My son is extremely anxious about the possibilities of not being able to play .Really not sure of choices.....anyone
I have some questions.Is this Medicine really needed and how will it effect his activity level.?

Depending on the dosage, it could slow him down a bit.  I was a nationally ranked short track speedskater and went without medication in order to compete at a high level.  Now that I'm older I still skate, but the medicine really slows me down, and it takes a little while to get the heart rate up to speed.

What is the time frame for him to get back to playing contact sports ,soccer ,basketball.?
I would think that within a couple of weeks.

Will he need this medicine after the procedure?
That depends.  My ablation is 2 months old, and I'm still on my medication.  'Course I'm also 60!

Why now will he not be able to play when he has had less episodes the past year than in 2009.?
Fear of  litigation.  We turned into a nation of.....(nevermind).......

Insurance?
When you pick up insurance again, this could be (it is) a pre-existing condition, and they may refuse to cover it. Just to give you an idea of the bill, mine was around $77,000

What are if any things that are harmful to him playing without the medicine until we get possible ablation.?
Depending on the type of SVT, probably minimal risk.  I had it for 54 years, yet raced bicycles, and skated, competing at a very high level in my sport.  If it starts up, you have to sit and slow it.

Would it be better to wait until he is out of college before procedure or is something like this better sooner than later.?
I think that choice is your and his to make.

I have read many stories of multiple ablations how often does this really happen and whatare the odds of him not playing after the procedure.?
I think that depends on the type of SVT he has. I would say it's low.

My son is extremely anxious about the possibilities of not being able to play .Really not sure of choices.....anyone

I didn't experiment with different meds, but the one I was on, and am syill on following my ablation was Metoprolol (100mg/day).  That didn't do squat in preventing episodes.  It did make them easier to convert once they fired up.  He may fond that'll he'll have to try different ones (there are may) until he finds one that works.  My SVT was a way of life for me, and I just dealt with it and moved forward.  It cost me a lot in terms of what I could have been had I not been saddled with it, but that was the hand I wa dealt so I played it as best as I could.

Does you son know how to convert them if one starts up?  If not, he should be instructed. In the past 15 years, I was getting them 4 to 5 times per month, and I never had to go to an ER becasue I could convert them on my own.  Best of luck to your son.  I know what's he's going thru.