Heart Rhythm Community

toprol xl withdrawl

HI I have been on toprol xl 50 mg once a day for the past 12 years, the past few months I have been having strange symptoms of lightheaded, cold hands/feet,anxiety, tired..been completely worked up, thyroid you name it, cardio stress test,echo, everything normal, I run 5-6 days a week, recently lost 7 more pounds, 5'3 and 123 lbs, have a family history of hbp, so they have left me on the toprol ( which started after preclamsia with my two pregnancies) however back in march I stopped coffee, cut out sugars, most, lost more weight, and my bp is running really good, lower 70's, they think the toprol is too strong now, so am going to start (today day one) 25mg for a week and then see how I am, then go lower does if we have too..but is this common for all of a sudden having a problem and how long does it take for your body to adjust and level out??  I just want my life back, this is knocking me off my feet, and I am so frustrated.
When stopping my Metoprolol prior to my ablation, I received different instructions from my cardiologist and electrophysiologist.  One told me back off slowly, while the other just said stop taking it. I went with easing back slowly.  I think your plan is a good one.  If you've been on Toprol XL for 12 years, I can't imagine it suddenly starting to bother you.  If you've lost some weight recently, i guess it's possible that you might be overdosing.  I've been in the overdose range before, and one major symptom is dizziness when standing up suddenly.  Another is a feeling of a heavy weight on your chest during any physical exertion.  I hope the lower dose makes a difference.