Hemorrhoids Community
406 Members

Did tea tree oil hurt my anus?

Last night I woke up with an immense itching sensation in my anus. Assuming it was pinworms, I applied a drop of PURE TEA TREE OIL to my anus using a cotton ball. It felt fine then so I went back to sleep. But after waking up a few hours ago, my anus skin is irritated and really kind of sensitive. The burning sensation went away to an extent after I used soap and water to wash the area. I discovered that it HURTS when I try to poop. I have used some ice cubes to numb the pain but I'm unsure about what to do and what to think. Do I have anything to worry about?
Tea tree oil can be irritating if you apply it directly to the skin.  Next time, add a few drops to a neutral oil like olive oil or coconut oil.  If you're having both itching and pain when you defecate, you're probably looking at hemorrhoids rather than pinworms.  
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.