Hemorrhoids Community
435 Members

Hemorrhoids or something more serious?

I have had Hemorrhoids for more than a year now. At least, I think they are hemorrhoids. Sometimes when I go to the toilet I can feel a "wound" opening inside my anus, and then a small amount of blood is present on the toilet roll. My stool varies in consistency (often quite loose) but is only rarely diarrhoea.

The reason I ask if this is something other that hemorrhoids is that bowel cancer has many of the same symptoms. Is it possible that I have cancer? If my anus hurts after going to the toilet could this be a sign that it is actually just hemorrhoids and I have nothing to worry about?

If the bloody stool is bright red, then it could be due to hemorrhoids or anal fissures. The causes of bloody stool that is more maroon in color is intestinal polyps, inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulosis (diverticulosis causes significant bleeding).

Please consult a gastroenterologist and get evaluated for these causes.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.