Hepatitis A Community
263 Members

15-year-old male - Could a simple stomach bug produce elevated AST/ALT/billirubin?

Hello - My son, back in early January had gastroenteritis with some of the markings of mono. He was tested for mono x2 and EBV along with a normal CBC and CMP. His liver function came back elevated. His ALT was over 200, AST was over 80 -- he had yet another bout of gastroenteritis in early February and was retested and everything was still elevated. He recently (Feb 28) had his blood redrawn to check his levels. They are now ALT 161/AST 62 - total bilirubin 1.5 and direct bilirubin .5  -- While down, these are still elevated. His blood will be redrawn again in May to check levels. The pediatrician assured me this was most likely due to a viral gastroenteritis. Should I be concerned about anything else?
Hi, infections can affect the liver. Hope a hepatitis panel has been done to rule out a hepatitis infection. Sometimes the medications used can also elevate the liver enzymes. So, if he does not have symptoms of liver disease like jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever, I would advise you to wait for now and repeat the test after four weeks to see how the levels are progressing. And have him vaccinated against hepatitis A & B. Regards.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.